Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Yum Replacement Ready For User Testing

Phoronix: Fedora's Yum Replacement Ready For User Testing

DNF, the next-generation yum package manager spearheaded by the Fedora project, is now ready for end-user testing ahead of its expected use out-of-the-box by Fedora 22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Question is, is DNF an in place replacement?
    Eg. if I run "yum install" is it yum or dnf?

If not, I imagine quite a lot of people will have to rewrite their scripts
    and learn to use a new tool.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

dnf will become the new yum when it is ready. The command line and the output are also almost identical.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

As long as the only difference is the program's name, that shouldn't be the case. A symlink or an alias would solve it without bothering reviewing the scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          As long as the only difference is the program's name, that shouldn't be the case. A symlink or an alias would solve it without bothering reviewing the scripts.
          Afaik it is not a "in place replacement".

http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html :
          DNF drops Yum?s protected_packages configuration option. Generally, DNF lets the user do what she specified, even have DNF itself removed.
          Yes, you can remove dnf or even the kernel.

PS:
          You are free to write a plugin to fix this (provide yum like behavior) though.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Afaik it is not a "in place replacement".

http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html :

PS:
            You are free to write a plugin to fix this (provide yum like behavior) though.
            While I don't necessarily agree or disagree that you should not be able to remove dnf itself or the kernel... One of the devs make a valid point on the mailing list in rebuttal: If they're installing packages they already have root. If they already have root then there's also no protection against them accidentally doing rm -rf /boot or /usr or /etc or /bin or even more hilariously...

sudo rm -rf ~ /bin

(note the space), that would probably wipe out their entire home directory AND /bin, which depending on rm's code might either just wipe out the symlink, or it might follow the symlink and rip its way through /usr/bin/.

The point being: if you've got root you have the ability to screw shit up, same old story as ever.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

APT lets you do the same, IIRC.
              Anyway, I don't use Fedora, it was just a guess and a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                While I don't necessarily agree or disagree that you should not be able to remove dnf itself or the kernel... One of the devs make a valid point on the mailing list in rebuttal: If they're installing packages they already have root. If they already have root then there's also no protection against them accidentally doing rm -rf /boot or /usr or /etc or /bin or even more hilariously...

sudo rm -rf ~ /bin

(note the space), that would probably wipe out their entire home directory AND /bin, which depending on rm's code might either just wipe out the symlink, or it might follow the symlink and rip its way through /usr/bin/.

The point being: if you've got root you have the ability to screw shit up, same old story as ever.
                The point is that dnf is different compared to yum in this (let's say critical) area...

Comment

The point is that dnf is different compared to yum in this (let's say critical) area...
                  True, but the mailing list posters seemed to be more annoyed that this 'protection' was gone, rather than that it was different than yum-- which is what I was trying to get at
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    dnf will become the new yum when it is ready. The command line and the output are also almost identical.
                    Perfect. I prefer yum due to its superior and clear CLI, so I don't really care what runs under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                    X