Intel, NVIDIA To Support Google's VP9 Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
    From the benchmarks i've seen on doom9 h264 often beats vp9 and h265 annialates vp9.

Google released the spec too soon before it was good enough to attempt to compete with h265.

Mozilla/Xiph are creating Daala which will be better than h265 they are using brand new video techniques never thought of before. It is currently a work in progress with no eta but this video codec could become the standard internet video codec. I'll buy a new pc when an APU can hardware decode vp8,vp9,h265 and daala.
    Won't happen. A standard is a collaborative process where vendors have a mutual beneficial [financial] outcome they can achieve. Google seems to forget the content creators have a vested interest in them not controlling the direction of their content to the consumer. Mozilla/Xiph would be better off merging their experiments into improving H.265 than attempting to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      Won't happen. A standard is a collaborative process where vendors have a mutual beneficial [financial] outcome they can achieve. Google seems to forget the content creators have a vested interest in them not controlling the direction of their content to the consumer. Mozilla/Xiph would be better off merging their experiments into improving H.265 than attempting to replace it.
      I'm pretty sure that it is not in Mozilla's interest to improve and push a format that they need a license for... I would think license fees comes right in the [financial] part of the problem.
      Oh and that's obviously true for google too (android encode/decode, chrome, youtube, etc..)

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        Mozilla/Xiph would be better off merging their experiments into improving H.265 than attempting to replace it.
        Sure, ideally all parties with respective know-how would collaborate to achieve the best possible solution. Unfortunately, in reality, there is the proverbial snowball's chance in hell that MPEG LA would agree on a royalty free patent licensing scheme for that collaborative work.
        Under those circumstances there is just no incentive for anyone to work with MPEG LA since there would be no improvement over the nasty situation created so far.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

What are the chances media companies will use 10-bit H.264 encodes before jumping on VP9 or H.265? It can supposedly reduce file size by 20% at the same quality. Does decoding 10-bit H.264 require less CPU resources to decode than VP9 and H.265 for the same quality video?

Anyone know the current status of that whole 10-bit H.264 hardware decoding support on AMD chips?

Comment

Originally posted by hal2k1 View Post
            When it was first released, VP8 was indeed marginally behind h.264, and many of the tests used this initial version of VP8, and they came to the conclusion you thought. Since it was first released, VP8 has had six or so update releases, each on bring new performance improvements. Nowadays in terms of quality per bit VP8 is more or less on par with h.264, but it does take longer to encode (it is however easier to decode).

That was VP8. We are talking here about VP9. VP9 is a successor to VP8, and VP9 is of course a significant step up from VP8.

So VP9 easily beats h.264, and it is a competitor for h.265. Having said that the entirely new approach of the Daala video codec promises to outperform even VP9 and H.265.

http://maxsharabayko.blogspot.com.au...-hevc-vp9.html
            Nope, I've seen a couple of quality tests that show h.264 and h.265 over vp9, vp8 lags way behind. By the way, I'm not contradicting what you say (I did not make the tests), just stating I did not confuse the name of the formats.
            Last edited by funtastic; 03 January 2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

By the way the test linked in this blog post http://maxsharabayko.blogspot.com.au...-hevc-vp9.html compares h.264 with vp9, but the h.264 implementation used is not x264 but the reference encoder, that produces video of subpar quality.

Comment

I am extremely impressed with how far Daala already has come. It's not even a year old on git (I think) and it already does better than many older codecs that took years to get to where they are now. If their theories that helped them achieve such good compression with opus work with Daala too, then we will really have a significant leap in video compression in 2-5 years.

Originally posted by funtastic View Post
                By the way the test linked in this blog post http://maxsharabayko.blogspot.com.au...-hevc-vp9.html compares h.264 with vp9, but the h.264 implementation used is not x264 but the reference encoder, that produces video of subpar quality.
                Edit: You bum, had you been paying attention to any of the video codec news you would know that HEVC is only marginally better than VP9. The reason why this matters so freaking much is VP9 is OPEN SOURCE. The last great open source video codec was Theora I believe which was on par and now arguably superior to AVI.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 05 January 2014, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  The reason why this matters so freaking much is VP9 is OPEN SOURCE. The last great open source video codec was Theora I believe which was on par and now arguably superior to AVI.
                  Perhaps you mean "unpatented"? I thought I could download the H.264 spec and several encoders in source right now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Perhaps you mean "unpatented"? I thought I could download the H.264 spec and several encoders in source right now.
                    VP9 is still patented but you don't have to pay for any license to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      Edit: You bum, had you been paying attention to any of the video codec news you would know that HEVC is only marginally better than VP9. The reason why this matters so freaking much is VP9 is OPEN SOURCE. The last great open source video codec was Theora I believe which was on par and now arguably superior to AVI.
                      You are so wrong it is not even funny. First of all, a format can't be open or closed source. vp9 is an open specification, but so is h.26x family (have you ever heard of the x264 and x265 implementations, both open source?). Second, avi is a container, not a format. And third, codec news? Made by wannabe journalists or or stakeholders? The only thing that matters here are benchmarks, and I have not seen any serious benchmark that shows vp9 on top of h.265, or even h.264. And as I said, I do not care what format is better or worse, I'm not rooting for h.264, I'm just stating what I've seen, and I don't think we should replace a widely used format with an inferior one.

And the so much important thing for you, the alleged patent protection: in the rest of the fucking world, i.e. not US it is irrelevant. The rest of the world doesn't deserve an inferior format because the us laws are crap.

And you call me a bum? Get the fuck out of here!

Comment

Working...
                      X