Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera-Like Otter Web Browser Out In Alpha Form

Phoronix: Opera-Like Otter Web Browser Out In Alpha Form

A few days ago I wrote about a Qt5-powered web-browser inspired by Opera that's open-source and would see its first development release soon. There was lots of interest in the project with many Opera users having experienced a falling-out with the closed-source browser's recent versions. Now as of yesterday Otter Alpha 1 is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A message just to subscribe the thread, I already shared my toughts on the other Otter-browser related one.

Comment

Be warned that these packages are highly experimental, especially DEB, it will be hard to satisfy dependencies, AFAIK Qt 5.2.0 is not packaged yet for Debian / (K)Ubuntu...
      But you can always extract binary and run it with SDK.

Comment

Originally posted by The Solutor View Post
        A message just to subscribe the thread, I already shared my toughts on the other Otter-browser related one.

Comment

otter-browser on archlinux

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
          Be warned that these packages are highly experimental, especially DEB, it will be hard to satisfy dependencies, AFAIK Qt 5.2.0 is not packaged yet for Debian / (K)Ubuntu...
          There's no problem with the package for archlinux: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/otter-browser/
          qt5.2 is in the official repos

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            Don't be picky!!!

I know perfectly how a forum board works, I decided to subscribe "loudly" also to give to inform a casual reader that there is already another thread about the same topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
              I encountered this problem but fortunately it was easy to build with the packages from qt-project.org. On Kubuntu I required the gstreamer and gstreamer base plugins dev packages to be installed but otherwise it was fairly straightforward.

Comment

@tom.higgy, yeah, that GStreamer is a bit harder one, it has to be exactly 0.10 (1.0 and later are incompatible) and I would say that its packaging is nonsensical (some of "basic" headers in base plugins package, seriously?), I'm curious what was rationale behind such split. ;-)
                It would be nice to setup wiki page with such information, (also listing runtime dependencies for Windows, since it is as usual harder target), I'll try to add it in coming days (one place to collect all possible caveats).

Comment

BTW, the only part of my clone I had actually started on was an URL matching lib, for the content blocking. You inspired me to hack it up today into a presentable condition.

If you'd like to use it in Otter, take a look at
                  A fast URL matcher library. Contribute to clbr/urlmatch development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

@curaga, interesting. :-)
                    I was looking for something like that (also for site specific preferences, since I would like add matching rules instead of simply matching host), so far I've found only this:
                    I need to match input strings (URLs) against a large set (anywhere from 1k-250k) of string rules with simple wildcard support. Requirements for wildcard support are as follows: Wildcard (*) can o...

I don't have time to analyze it right now, so I'll have some questions here.
                    Does it load file from disk itself or you have to set list to it?
                    How it plays with non-ASCII characters in URLs?

Comment

Working...
                    X