Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer2 Gone Dark, MPV Is Still Happening

Phoronix: MPlayer2 Gone Dark, MPV Is Still Happening

The once popular MPlayer2 fork of MPlayer has sadly not seen any new development activity in nearly one year, but another less well-known fork of MPlayer is still showing a future with its most recent activity just being from hours ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm. I use SMPlayer2 as my main media player right now, since MPlayer2 still seems to be able to handle most media formats, and SMPlayer2 is a pretty good GUI. If someone made SMPV with the same general featureset, I'd probably switch to it.

Comment

Mplayer2 in its current state is still quite usable even though there hasn't been any maintenance updates in a while so once MPV gets traction it should become something like mplayer2 reloaded. How well will this new player be supported on Linux?

Comment

It's a shame that even libav updates aren't being merged in. Sounds like the dev either got sick or doesn't want to have anything to do with it anymore.

Comment

A few days ago we released mpv 0.3.0. Release notes and Windows / OS X binaries are available here (while your favourite disto's package manager should be already updated by now).

If someone made SMPV with the same general featureset, I'd probably switch to it.
          Hopefully someone will when libmpv and the new slave mode are completed.

MPV's early features over MPlayer2 were Microsoft Windows support
          This is untrue: while mpv introduced a LOT of Windows improvements this platform is officially supported on MPlayer and mplayer2 as well!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Hmm. I use SMPlayer2 as my main media player right now, since MPlayer2 still seems to be able to handle most media formats, and SMPlayer2 is a pretty good GUI. If someone made SMPV with the same general featureset, I'd probably switch to it.
            There's no need for a GUI front end for mpv since it has a nice OSD. However, there is a GUI front-end named cmplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Mplayer2 in its current state is still quite usable even though there hasn't been any maintenance updates in a while so once MPV gets traction it should become something like mplayer2 reloaded. How well will this new player be supported on Linux?
              It's been well supported for over a year. It's even in Ubuntu 14.04 repos and PPAs for Ubuntu 13.10/14.04.

Comment

I'll stick with mplayer 1.2 with added vaapi support and realtime scheduling.

Comment

I use plain mpv for playing/previeweing videos quickly. I used mplayer previously and it annoyed me that the audio volume always modified pulseaudio's master volume and i couldnt use hardware decoding when available (it could use only either only the vdpau formats or software decoding) - mpv doesnt have these issues + it has a basic gui which is good for quick informative preview.

It would be helpful if the gui had a possibility to list the interactive keyboard commands somehow or implement the basic functions such as deinterlacing etc via buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    There's no need for a GUI front end for mpv since it has a nice OSD. However, there is a GUI front-end named cmplayer.
                    Sorry dude. It is just ridiculous to use the cli to play videos in these days. Also mplayer/mplayer2 works as a backend to gecko-mediaplayer to wirk with web browsers. It uses gnome-mplayer as a gui.

Smplayer and gnome-mplayer (and Umplayer) are pretty much agnostic to the mplayer backend (there is no need for Smplayer2 and I believe the project is dead) They work with either mplayer and mplayer2. mpv needs to have a slavemode so it can be compatible as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X