Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Celeron, Pentium Haswell HD Graphics On Mesa 10.1-devel

Phoronix: Intel Celeron, Pentium Haswell HD Graphics On Mesa 10.1-devel

In several Phoronix articles I've already shared Mesa 10.1-devel benchmarks of this latest open-source graphics driver code currently under development. Most of the open-source graphics tests at Phoronix are done on higher-end hardware, so for this article we're checking on the latest open-source graphics performance when using the low-end Celeron and Pentium processors of the Haswell generation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone have any experience with the Acer Chromebook, other than these benchmarks? I'm specifically wondering if it's going to be powerful enough to run some veeerrrryy basic Wine games, as I'm considering picking one up.

I may do it anyway, because $200 for this machine? It's practically free.

Comment

To answer the now old question, it plays almost everything I can put on it. There is a thread on reddit someone had a while ago listing games it could play, but I think they gave up because it was pretty much anything upto Skyrim at lower settings on 30+fps. I've been playing older games without problem, except...

I have one new steam game that just released a linux port, and requires OpenGL 3.2 or higher. I've updated my kernel to 3.14, updated the driver with the intel open source installer, and followed the instructions here for Oibaf's latest drivers. When I use the phoronix test suite it says 3.3, but if I do glxinfo it lists these two, which suggests it is still using 3.0
      OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.2.0-devel (git-7e0396d saucy-oibaf-ppa)
      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.0-devel (git-7e0396d saucy-oibaf-ppa)

The dev says that's the issue with this, (the game is forgequest btw).

Any ideas how to get this to actually run using a higher version of OpenGL?

Comment

Working...
      X