The Big RadeonSI Performance Patch To Land In Linux 3.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bitiquinho View Post
    PRIME needs compositing to work properly. In KDE, I had to uncheck the option to disable compositing in fullscreen apps so that using DRI_PRIME=1 doesn't crash things.
    Specifically PRIME needs *xrender* compositing -- for some reason it doesn't work with OpenGL compositing. This means that DEs such as Cinnamon or Gnome3 can't actually use PRIME (afaik anyway, I haven't gotten them to work properly). Kwin allows you to change to xrender compositing, and xcompmgr uses xrender and Compton allows you to pick which compositor you want. Xfwm's compositor is Xrender as well.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make PRIME work with OpenGL/GLX compositing?

Comment

In Soviet Russia, code patches you!

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
        Specifically PRIME needs *xrender* compositing -- for some reason it doesn't work with OpenGL compositing. This means that DEs such as Cinnamon or Gnome3 can't actually use PRIME (afaik anyway, I haven't gotten them to work properly). Kwin allows you to change to xrender compositing, and xcompmgr uses xrender and Compton allows you to pick which compositor you want. Xfwm's compositor is Xrender as well.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make PRIME work with OpenGL/GLX compositing?
        1. Resize the window if possible
        2. disable and reenable compositing, e.g. via hotkey

Comment

Here it worked in GL 3.1 mode. I didn't even try Xrender.

Comment

Sounds like a good direction is to disable compositing. Unfortunately I don't think Cinnamon 2.0 can do that, as far as I know. Maybe it's time to use a different UI, like XFCE or KDE.

Comment

None exist so far

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
              posting this here because this is somewhat relevant
              if someone from Amd sees this, can you please tell me the cards on which 10 bit hardware accelerated decoding works?
              I have a uvd 2.2 capable 4650, which I was thinking about using while building a htpc. is that capable of 10 bit hardware accelerated decoding or should I buy the new uvd 3 cards?
              this is very important for me because the processor I'll be using is very weak and i have a lot of 10 bit h.264 videos
              also thank you based marek
              To be clear, I'm just a user of AMD chips, not from AMD.

AFAIK, there's no hardware decoding solution for H264 10Bit yet. As a user of R9 270X and A10-5800K, UVD3 cannot handle it.
              None of the NVIDIA nor Intel chip did, either.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
                To be clear, I'm just a user of AMD chips, not from AMD.

AFAIK, there's no hardware decoding solution for H264 10Bit yet. As a user of R9 270X and A10-5800K, UVD3 cannot handle it.
                None of the NVIDIA nor Intel chip did, either.
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amd did implement something in this regard in the software side of things. also uvd 3 documentation does mention something about 10 bit decoding
                I guess I'll buy a cheap uvd 3 card and share my findings after compiling mesa from git

Comment

Will there be reviews against catalyst? rc7 has been released: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...13-rc7-trusty/

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    Does anyone know if this will get the r7 260x to work? Or when will it be supported? I just get a black screen when trying to launch something graphical :/
                    Please update your kernel and Mesa. I recommend using the kernel from git or the latest release candidate.

Comment

How does the performance of radeonsi compare to catalyst now? Equal/better? Is AMD with open-source graphics now an alternative to nvidia for "serious" graphics?

Can't wait for some benchmarks. Hopefully some with the new R9/R7 series cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X