Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Past performance does not indicate current performance with business.
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Exactly, you can't base ANY companies current strategies by their past record
    It's not perfect information but it's generally better than none If I was a gambling on this I'd be a fool to ignore past performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ze.. View Post
      It's not perfect information but it's generally better than none If I was a gambling on this I'd be a fool to ignore past performance.

Only if your comparing company A to company B and betting on which will follow though given a choice. When gambling on the certainty of just one company, especially in the IT industry, marketing strategies changes with the tides based on current and future needs and wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
        I'm surprised the idea of a Linux port of a piece of DRM-infected software like Steam gets such an enthusiastic reaction, though I appreciate that it could encourage more developers to add Linux functionality. It's be a royal shame if it was something like that holding up UT3. I'd prefer to think they were holding it up to release it in time with the 360 or Mac port- it still not a good thing, but at least we're not bound by Steam that way.
        You know, I'm not so thrilled as having Steam, as having an answer to it all. No answers and the conduct they've had recently is troubling.

Comment

Steam is crap. Maybe for buying old games you can't find anywhere else, but for new releases having to authenticate and connect to the web each time, besides the connection you already have to the internet with your broadband connection just for playing single or multiplayer is crap. Newell can take his steam and shove it up his big a**.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            and how exactly do you figure its "their prerogative" ? they announced that the shit was coming, and as a result people have gone out and bought their software, since they were promised that they were gonna be able to play it on linux, with a native client. Its been half a year, and nothing has been released, hell, they havent even said why, said when they expect it to be released, or even said if its still going to be released.. You know, there is a little thing called a lie, and epic's marketing might need to look that up.
            It is still entirely up to them. They said it was coming, never said when or that they would actually commit... Just like politicians, they say a lot of stuff during campaign, and are actually seldom able to deliver all of their promises. And even if they did, it is still their right (prerogative) to cancel the project if they so choose to. It is wrong, it means they lied, but it is still their option to release it or not... And there's nothing you can do, except maybe get your money back, which I'd doubt because, you bought the Windows version anyway, and nowhere in the box is stated Linux support, despite anything they might have said.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              Steam is crap. Maybe for buying old games you can't find anywhere else, but for new releases having to authenticate and connect to the web each time, besides the connection you already have to the internet with your broadband connection just for playing single or multiplayer is crap. Newell can take his steam and shove it up his big a**.
              Yes, Steam as a service is crap, as a delivery mechanism could be useful, but still leaves you wondering what kind of information such a service is "phoning home", not to mention the potential resource hogging it may be in Linux, and what it is on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                And there's nothing you can do, except maybe get your money back, which I'd doubt because, you bought the Windows version anyway, and nowhere in the box is stated Linux support, despite anything they might have said.
                Indeed... I've always wondered why people bought things like they do on this stuff in the first place.

If it doesn't have a Linux version, official or unofficial, why, for Pete's Sake, would you buy the title in the first place if you're not planning on using Windows to run the software in the first place?

I do it only in instances where I'm scouting out a title for LGP. I've only done it once and the title I was going to ask Michael about trying to get the porting rights to, he'd already beat me to the punch. I've pretty much not bought much of anything else- and all other games are Linux titles or Wii titles at this point.

I don't care if they say they're going to, until they DO it, there's no Linux version, now is there? You don't reward someone on just promises- you reward their deeds. Even if Epic has done versions, even ones on the install CD, in the past- they've not done it yet for UT3, now have they? May never do so. Unless you have "Linux Version" on the box, you just bought a Windows SKU and you'll play hell getting your money back on what is a working version of what you bought in the first place...

If you bought UT3, expecting to get a Linux client, I feel for you- but only to a point. You knew you weren't really buying a Linux copy- until that client ships, you can't buy a Linux copy. And running a title under WINE/Cedega/Crossover Games is, while running under Linux, adding a vote for the WRONG PLATFORM with your dollars. Why artificially prolong that Windows monopoly?

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                  Yes, Steam as a service is crap, as a delivery mechanism could be useful, but still leaves you wondering what kind of information such a service is "phoning home", not to mention the potential resource hogging it may be in Linux, and what it is on Windows.
                  I don't mind using steam with Linux as long as it's made open-source and therefore I'm sure that :
                  no information is send over the net against my will, no adverts are made for games that I don't care (pop-ups are as annoying as they are frequent in steam and in Windows in general).

Steam made open-source. This could be a april's fool post title !

Comment

I'm not even naive enough to expect it to be open source (though that would be ideal!), but the entire concept of having to register as part of a service, and use a client that has to call home every time we dare to use our own legally purchased software, it represents everything that I left Windows for in the first place. It's a shame because I'm all for digital distribution, removing the increasingly redundant processes that make up the traditional physical content distribution systems, essentially being propped up by the existing industry to save having to invest money into moving with the market changes and consumer desires.
                    Last edited by Shakey_Jake33; 29 April 2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Steam is DRM, which is about limiting your choice. Linux is free software/open source, which is everything about choice. So both won't go together.

Comment

Working...
                      X