Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Or he's saying that he is a very lonely person and must rely on himself to give him a birthday party and pretends the cube is a real friend.
    Riiight... Ryan's definitely not without friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      Riiight... Ryan's definitely not without friends.
      He could be hiding right now with all the headhunters looking for the UT3 client.

Comment

Wild thought: Could Steam the middleware Ryan was talking about, and Epic is waiting for the client of that to be released so they can release their game? Dumb idea, I know, is just taht we've pretty much covered it all... what's more what if he is doing the Steam port? There goes the dreamer again... Somebody stop me.
        Last edited by Thetargos; 26 April 2008, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Well, all I can add to this is something I found on the mailing list quite some time ago (which I kept forgetting to post) which suggests Ryan knew there were going to be issues:

Subject: Re: [ut3] 64 Bit Linux Version?
          Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 04:12:12 -0400
          Thomas Kowaliczek wrote:
          > Will it give an 64 Bit Linux version? like ut2004 ?

No plans to do this at this time (but if I ever get a free moment, I'll
          look into it...I have a feeling that a lot of middleware is going to be
          problematic this time around, though).

--ryan.
          edit:

On a side note, UT3 was what I was hoping to have fun with on Linux after I get my next PC...appears like I'll just have to keep with UT99/04
          Last edited by MasterGH; 26 April 2008, 04:30 AM.

Comment

He could be hiding right now with all the headhunters looking for the UT3 client.
            Heh... Ever the pessimist, eh, deanjo? Keep doing that- at the least it'll keep Thetargos and myself honest... >:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              Wild thought: Could Steam the middleware Ryan was talking about, and Epic is waiting for the client of that to be released so they can release their game? Dumb idea, I know, is just taht we've pretty much covered it all... what's more what if he is doing the Steam port? There goes the dreamer again... Somebody stop me.
              I suggested that over a month ago.

Comment

Hey now, you're supposed to be pessimistic here... :P

Comment

Yeah, you did mention it may be Steam, I mentioned (based on Valve's job announcement on their site) that maybe they're actually working on a port.

Comment

I'm surprised the idea of a Linux port of a piece of DRM-infected software like Steam gets such an enthusiastic reaction, though I appreciate that it could encourage more developers to add Linux functionality. It's be a royal shame if it was something like that holding up UT3. I'd prefer to think they were holding it up to release it in time with the 360 or Mac port- it still not a good thing, but at least we're not bound by Steam that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      I guess we'll never know for sure what is the hold up and why have they decided to forsake Linux talk from the forums. Maybe they were asked by Microsoft to do so in order to have the game in the 360 (a long shot and it'd be stretching it) or they simply lost interest... Whatever the reason, as I've said before, it's their prerogative.

I hope Ryan keeps on working in interesting projects for Linux.
                      and how exactly do you figure its "their prerogative" ? they announced that the shit was coming, and as a result people have gone out and bought their software, since they were promised that they were gonna be able to play it on linux, with a native client. Its been half a year, and nothing has been released, hell, they havent even said why, said when they expect it to be released, or even said if its still going to be released.. You know, there is a little thing called a lie, and epic's marketing might need to look that up.

Comment

Working...
                      X