Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immudium View Post
    I do see a silver lining in the fact that they have not simply flat out canned the Linux client altogether. No news is still good news in this case. I believe Epic still wants to release it, especially if they've already paid one or more developers like Ryan Gordon to port it. I also believe that Microsoft has had a heavy hand in preventing it from being released. Gears of War was a huge success on the 360 and it would not surprise me if Microsoft and Epic made an exclusivity agreement for Gears of War 2 and as part of that agreement prevented the Unreal Engine from being ported to other platforms such as the PS3 and/or Linux for a certain amount of time as is typically done for most exclusive console titles.

My only hope at this point is that the 5+ wait is not an indication that Epic will abandon all future Linux endeavors. The fact that they've publicly announced their love for consoles to the detriment of even the Windows platform has me even more concerned for the future of Epic games on Linux.

Huh? The PS3 version has been out since early December. There have been many games in the past with "Linux version to be available" that never see the light of day. They next to never put out a release what will say "We said we would put a client out, but we changed our minds." Almost in every single case where a linux client was pulled or killed there hasn't been a press release saying so. They just let people yell until they go away.

Comment

Huh? The PS3 version has been out since early December. There have been many games in the past with "Linux version to be available" that never see the light of day. They next to never put out a release what will say "We said we would put a client out, but we changed our minds." Almost in every single case where a linux client was pulled or killed there hasn't been a press release saying so. They just let people yell until they go away.
      The difference, however, is that Epic Games has already released many linux clients for the Unreal series.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
        The difference, however, is that Epic Games has already released many linux clients for the Unreal series.
        Past performance does not indicate current performance with business. I will give them a small benefit of the doubt here because of their past performance- but only a small one. In the past they've never handled a delay like this in the manner that they're doing things; this is different from the prior Linux supporting products from them- almost like one of their publishers put the kibosh on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Past performance does not indicate current performance with business. I will give them a small benefit of the doubt here because of their past performance- but only a small one. In the past they've never handled a delay like this in the manner that they're doing things; this is different from the prior Linux supporting products from them- almost like one of their publishers put the kibosh on things.
          Exactly, you can't base ANY companies current strategies by their past record. IT have to companies evolve, adapt, and adjust going with the current and future trends that can give them the greatest return on investment during the present and future. Those companies that don't die a quick death.

Comment

I'd say that it is JUST because of their past performance that users are most upset with them this time around.

Comment

no one picked up on the weighted companion cube in ryan's latest post... orange box

Or he is just enjoying his cake

What annoy most linux fans is that they have no idea of the status of the port. Epic should just say "Port has been killed" or "port in 2 mnths..".

Comment

I caught that... There's two meanings there... He's a Half-Life fan, or he's intimating that Orange Box is coming to Linux and, as a result, Steam (which is where Epic's going for PC distribution...), which was the real hold-up for UT3...

The toppings on the cake, by the by, were chocolate orange wedges as best as I could tell...

[edit]
                Heh... Don't tell anyone, but I think Ryan might have been trying to tell us something there:

title="(Apparently it's not a lie.)"
                alt="(Apparently it's not a lie.)"
                Last edited by Svartalf; 25 April 2008, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I caught that... There's two meanings there... He's a Half-Life fan, or he's intimating that Orange Box is coming to Linux and this and as a result, Steam (which is where Epic's going for PC distribution...), was the hold-up for UT3...

The toppings on the cake, by the by, were chocolate orange wedges as best as I could tell...
                  Or he's saying that he is a very lonely person and must rely on himself to give him a birthday party and pretends the cube is a real friend.

Comment

I caught that... There's two meanings there... He's a Half-Life fan, or he's intimating that Orange Box is coming to Linux and, as a result, Steam (which is where Epic's going for PC distribution...), which was the real hold-up for UT3...
                    Dude, I hope you're so right!

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                      Dude, I hope you're so right!
                      I'm not holding my breath. I like wearing blue...as clothing, not as my skin color...

But, it's a possibility all the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X