Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC 13 Will Have Tons Of Exciting Improvements

Phoronix: XBMC 13 Will Have Tons Of Exciting Improvements

After the XBMC 12.3 release this week, the next major update due out for this incredibly popular multi-platform HTPC software is the XBMC 13.0 "Gotham" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only thing I'm really missing is a builtin web browser which can be controlled with a IR remote. Maybe similar to how the Google G1 did it.

I know you can launch external browsers but they are a pita to control and they are not ment to be used from a few metres away (font size, menus, ...).

Comment

Whatever happened to Ubuntu TV? Does it work with capture cards? My problem right now is finding a good TV backend to stream video to XBMC. Currently I use MediaPortal, which actually works awesomely, but it's only for Windows.

Linux though has MythTV, which a lot of people will swear by it but I've never gotten it to work. I've gotten ATSC broadcast TV to work, but nothing past that. But there's better ATSC software that's easier to setup on Linux then MythTV. The other problem is that analog TV input is somewhat problematic for certain capture cards, particularly with Hauppauge, well the ones I own anyway. Even though the cards work perfectly fine in TV-Viewer, there's some driver compatibility issues with MythTV. Don't get me started on setting up EPG with MythTV, which the best route is paying for an online service MythTV provides.

Would love to finally see a good TV backend that works. TV sucks so much lately that it's not a very important feature for some people, so it tends to be a lesser issue. My MediaPortal setup is for my niece when she comes over, so she can watch TV on the tablet with XBMC. Which BTW XBMC on Android is extremely buggy, and stupid. There needs to be a UI built for a screen like the tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Whatever happened to Ubuntu TV? Does it work with capture cards? My problem right now is finding a good TV backend to stream video to XBMC. Currently I use MediaPortal, which actually works awesomely, but it's only for Windows.

Linux though has MythTV, which a lot of people will swear by it but I've never gotten it to work. I've gotten ATSC broadcast TV to work, but nothing past that. But there's better ATSC software that's easier to setup on Linux then MythTV. The other problem is that analog TV input is somewhat problematic for certain capture cards, particularly with Hauppauge, well the ones I own anyway. Even though the cards work perfectly fine in TV-Viewer, there's some driver compatibility issues with MythTV. Don't get me started on setting up EPG with MythTV, which the best route is paying for an online service MythTV provides.

Would love to finally see a good TV backend that works. TV sucks so much lately that it's not a very important feature for some people, so it tends to be a lesser issue. My MediaPortal setup is for my niece when she comes over, so she can watch TV on the tablet with XBMC. Which BTW XBMC on Android is extremely buggy, and stupid. There needs to be a UI built for a screen like the tablet.
        i am using vdr for years and it works perfect. better than anyother i've tested so far.

as i am impatiant i am always building xbmc and the vdr client and server plugins from git. but the oficial stable releases are fine. if you need help to set it up let me know, though it is very easy to. i never tested it but i read that yavdr and openelectv are very good preconfigured xbmc+vdr distros.

i personally stick to ubuntu gnome + self compiled xbmc from git.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          There needs to be a UI built for a screen like the tablet.
          There is, download the "Touched" skin (if it isn't already downloaded but just not enabled for Android).

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
            The only thing I'm really missing is a builtin web browser which can be controlled with a IR remote. Maybe similar to how the Google G1 did it.

I know you can launch external browsers but they are a pita to control and they are not ment to be used from a few metres away (font size, menus, ...).
            while i agree that a browser incorporating kinda "big picture mode" would be a nice to have i must say that i am very satisfied using firefox un my ubuntu gnome. i've changed the dpi (via handycap settings) and am using the browser page zoom feature which firefox remembers per domain as it seems, you know ctrl+"+".

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              There is, download the "Touched" skin (if it isn't already downloaded but just not enabled for Android).
              and thats not the only one. even some common skins support a touch friendly mode via settings.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                and thats not the only one. even some common skins support a touch friendly mode via settings.
                Ya there is, however I have ran across a few that sometimes gets you into an area where you get "stuck" because they haven't provided an icon to back out of the screen. On a remote you would just use the back button or menu button.

Comment

Hello,

I really miss DSD(128) audio support and the ability to select wich screen XBMC should open.

Anyone knows something about that features?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                    i am using vdr for years and it works perfect. better than anyother i've tested so far.

as i am impatiant i am always building xbmc and the vdr client and server plugins from git. but the oficial stable releases are fine. if you need help to set it up let me know, though it is very easy to. i never tested it but i read that yavdr and openelectv are very good preconfigured xbmc+vdr distros.

i personally stick to ubuntu gnome + self compiled xbmc from git.
                    I remember trying VDR and had problems, but I can't remember what they were. Does it have a UI or is it command based? Also my only hardware mpeg2 capture card is in my Windows machine, and I know a lot of software doesn't like software mpeg2 devices, which is what I have in my Linux machine right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X