Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GnuCash 2.6 Tries To Improve Open-Source Accounting

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Lol, after a while you get a feeling for how bad things are like when their CFO or controller call to ask you how to restrict the owners from seeing the financials or lock them out of the system even in read only mode.
    That has nothing to do with the validity of leveraging a spreadsheet to that of Accounting Software, to that of large datapools, but every bit to do with corrupt executives, and one way or another crap rolls down hill.

I am curious which Big 5 firms you blew the whistle on.

Default Please try OpenERP

Important FOSS software for accounting is OpenERP. Everything is in there for accounting, but also for purchasing, selling, manufacturing, stock keeping,... and even broadening the scope. You can easily test in the cloud from http://www.openerp.com. Always interested in comments as done before on spreadsheets,... They need to be replaced as the base data/base reports, but maybe afterwards you want to analyze it back in your spreadsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by jossec View Post
    Important FOSS software for accounting is OpenERP. Everything is in there for accounting, but also for purchasing, selling, manufacturing, stock keeping,... and even broadening the scope. You can easily test in the cloud from http://www.openerp.com. Always interested in comments as done before on spreadsheets,... They need to be replaced as the base data/base reports, but maybe afterwards you want to analyze it back in your spreadsheet?
    In this post, are you trying to say that you work for OpenERP and want feedback? I looked at your site and I can offer two pieces of advice: 1) This free trial/register to download business is very offputting, but I guess it's a key part of your business model. 2) You badly need a native English speaker to edit your website.

Default When will 2.6 be reviewed?

2.6 > 2.4

Sadly, GnuCash is still rather rudimentary and doesn't meet the needs for most business professionals. When checking out GnuCash 2.4, I'm still much better off using Intuit's proprietary web-based products paired with a spreadsheet or text file than this open-source accounting software package as Intuit's software is much more useful and complete.

Why post comments on 2.4, which is/will be the previous release shortly? Is 2.6 expected to suffer from the same limitations?

Quote Originally Posted by akincer View Post
    Or for finance types that aren't report writing gurus that want to quickly generate some on the fly reports (they KNOW Excel though).
    Good accounting software can do that without resorting to spreadsheets.

Or for people that want to look over some numbers when on a plane and don't have internet access (that's changing though with in-flight WiFi.
    Good account software can export to many readable formats without resorting to a spreadsheet.

Or for sharing data with folks that need it for one reason or another, but don't have access to the accounting software (nor do you want them to). Those cases DO exist.
    Good accounting software can export that data in multiple formats.

If I spent more than 2 minutes thinking about it, I'm sure I could come up with plenty more common reasons that using Excel in conjunction with your accounting software is legitimate and doesn't fall within any of your categories. I would submit that THESE are the more likely use cases for Excel/spreadsheets with an accounting software package.
    You are going to have to come up with a lot better excuses then those.

You might be shocked what some Excel gurus can put together. I've seen stuff thrown together in 30 minutes that would probably take 3 or 4 hours at least to build using Crystal Reports. The difference, of course, is that the Crystal report can be run again and again whereas the Excel job was a one-off albeit one that the CFO needed/wanted in far less time than was possible with Crystal.
    Crystal Reports is a bandaid for a incomplete accounting system. In fact in our development, we use Crystal Reports and Excel as an example of what not to do. If they are requiring them, then that is a functionality that should be built into the accounting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    That has nothing to do with the validity of leveraging a spreadsheet to that of Accounting Software, to that of large datapools, but every bit to do with corrupt executives, and one way or another crap rolls down hill.

I am curious which Big 5 firms you blew the whistle on.
    Or clients primarily is from the small to big enough but not big enough to have their own accounting software development team. We leave those to the likes of IBM.