recommended MB for phenom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommended MB for phenom?

I'm about to build a new server for high-performance computing use. I'm planning on a phenom, and am wondering what is the best chipset today, and what would be a good MB.

High Performance? Well even a Q6600 ist faster than every available Phenom - and thats not even OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      High Performance? Well even a Q6600 ist faster than every available Phenom - and thats not even OC.
      I believe that memory bandwidth may be the most important issue in my work. I'm under the impression that amd is doing well here.

Comment

The 2nd generation AM2+ motherboards are coming very soon (790FX/SB750), I would wait a bit for them to arrive (~ 2-3 weeks I guess). The SB750 is able to clock the Phenom even further if you're interested in overclocking.

Comment

Well I just got a Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe in on Saturday. Took the Phenom 9850 off the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 which maxed out @ 2800 Mhz overclocking and slapped it on the Asus using the same ram, powersupply, videocard, cpu and heatsink. So far up to 3300 Mhz stable and still pushing it further. Gonna try the 6400+ BE on it next to see how far that can be pushed. Could only get about a 100 Mhz bump OCing with it on the Gigabyte.
          Last edited by deanjo; 21 April 2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

3.3 GHz is not bad, did you press ctrl-f1 to get to hidden bios entries on you gigabyte?

Comment

3.3 GHz is not bad, did you press ctrl-f1 to get to hidden bios entries on you gigabyte?
              Ya, tried screwing around with the HT link width in there to see if I could push it further. Didn't help any.

Comment

So, should I go for Asus M3N-HT with it's nvidia chipset, or wait for '2nd generation AM2+ motherboards are coming very soon (790FX/SB750)'?

I have no interest in SLI - this is just for high performance computing.

Comment

Well then usually you would buy a Q6700, Q9450 or similar. Do you know of any benchmark where Phenom is significant faster than Core2?

Comment

Well then usually you would buy a Q6700, Q9450 or similar. Do you know of any benchmark where Phenom is significant faster than Core2?
                    I believe my use will be limited by memory bandwidth. I have the idea that amd has the edge here - but I don't really know.

Comment

Working...
                    X