Valve's Giving Away L4D2 As A Christmas Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    You cant login with the Steam client because the servers are overloaded.
    You can still get the game by logging in on the Steam website from your web browser and adding the L4D2 game.
    It didnt work for me last night. Neither the Steam client, nor the web browser page was working. The client gave varrious errors, the web page just didnt load.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
      Fetching a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 permanently just requires firing up your Steam client -- on Linux, OS X, or Windows -- and installing Steam before mid-day (PST) on the 26th.
      I think you had a little too much Holiday Cheer.

Comment

too late for me

just got to late to pc... dam..n .. hollyday .. wanted to test to my linux pc

Comment

Originally posted by lolren View Post
          just got to late to pc... dam..n .. hollyday .. wanted to test to my linux pc
          Here's the quick version of it: prepare for insane input lag.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Here's the quick version of it: prepare for insane input lag.
            And crashes in safe rooms.

Comment

fwiw, it runs well on my A10-6800k now that I've enabled dpm and properly installed the heatsink so my APU is no longer being fried.

...need to get an aftermarket sink for this thing when I next upgrade it; the stock aluminum one is barely cutting it in my itx case. lol

Comment

Basically you can play the game with fglrx as well but you might need the lowest gfx settings to get a high framerate. With faster cards you can enable a bit more, but when the speed drops you get very extreme input lag. That does not even happen with slow nvidia cards, even with low fps. But it was a really cool gift, i hope much more Linux users can play the game now. The engine is older than Team Fortress 2, so it is a bit different.

Comment

Runs perfectly well on an A8-6500 with the OSS drivers (i have compiled mesa, drm, xf86-ati and kernel from git). I just played a bit (until chapter 3) and it ran perfectly smooth with vsync on at 1440x900 even when there were tons of zombies around. No input lag.
                  The Source games i played so far (TF2, DoD Source, L4D2) all ran perfectly well on the OSS radeon drivers. In fact the Half Life 1 based games (at least Day of Defeat 1) run slower for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
                    ran perfectly smooth with vsync on at 1440x900 even when there were tons of zombies around. No input lag.
                    You must have the reflexes of a potato then :-P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      You must have the reflexes of a potato then :-P
                      Hey, if my keyboard could handle more than two keys at a time I could easily play L4D2 with the open driver and mousekeys. ;p

Seriously, though, runs great with settings maxed (except AA) and 1080p. Only thing I noticed was the mouse continued a little past when I stopped, but I think that may have more to do with my sensitivity settings (I haven't tweaked those much yet) and the fact that I'm using a bluetooth mouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X