The PlayStation 4 Does Use The FreeBSD Kernel, Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Even though I see your point, and am as tired of self-entitled people who criticizes (actually, insults; a good criticism doesn't bother me) other people's license of choice as you, you should remember using and supporting are two very different things. It's not like he's got to pay to use it or something.
    There are different types of support, for example with reporting bugs. So every time you report a bug for, for example, Xorg, Wayland, Mesa or even parts of the kernel that are BSD licensed, you are supporting those projects, actively helping to make them better.
    If Pawlerson reports bugs or otherwise supports permissive licensed projects is beyond my knowledge, but I would bet that he demands a working GUI on his systems or even only that his kernel works as intended, which means that actually he is the one begging for code. The hypocrisy couldn't be bigger, unless he goes forward and removes all permissive licensed code from his systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      There are different types of support, for example with reporting bugs. So every time you report a bug for, for example, Xorg, Wayland, Mesa or even parts of the kernel that are BSD licensed, you are supporting those projects, actively helping to make them better.
      If Pawlerson reports bugs or otherwise supports permissive licensed projects is beyond my knowledge, but I would bet that he demands a working GUI on his systems or even only that his kernel works as intended, which means that actually he is the one begging for code. The hypocrisy couldn't be bigger, unless he goes forward and removes all permissive licensed code from his systems.
      I'm not denying the hypocrisy, I'm just pointing out that the fact he enjoys the code doesn't mean he supports the projects in any way. In fact, in his weird way, he's showing what he criticizes, which is the fact that BSD software doesn't expect you to share the author's philosophy at the time of using it. Copyleft licenses kind of expect you to think in a similar way to how the authors' think.
      On reporting bugs, yeah, I was considering that as a way of support, but I'm aware LOTS of users don't even report the bugs that bother them (yet they whine about nobody fixing them, hilarious on its own merit).

Comment

Working...
      X