Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 LTS Release

Phoronix: Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 LTS Release

The Ubuntu GNOME distribution that packages up the latest GNOME Shell 3 desktop environment atop Ubuntu Linux is already conceding their low on resources and might be incapable of doing a 14.04 LTS release come next spring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ... is already conceding their low on resources ...
    Their low on resources what?

Comment

Gnome per say is a dead horse. Ubuntu has killed it twice by releasing old versions of Gnome. I highly doubt there would be anymore interest in gnome, that too in ubuntu community.

Comment

Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
        Gnome per say is a dead horse. Ubuntu has killed it twice by releasing old versions of Gnome. I highly doubt there would be anymore interest in gnome, that too in ubuntu community.
        You actually meant "per se" right?
        (just to make sure)

About GNOME, many distros still use it. You can say it's a falling plane, I don't know if it is(and i don't thing so), but I won't say you're wrong either. However if you say it's a dead horse, I'd really say no, since there still are many people using it. Distros like Debian ship it as default too; and also as a result, SteamOS uses GNOME for the desktop mode, and this particular OS is a highly unpredictable variable, since it still has the potential to add a "desktop linux" distro(GNU/Linux if you would) to the living room(and later probably desktop) of many gamers.
        Also don't forget that Ubuntu has replaced part of GNOME only, it does use Nautilus, gedit, File Roller, brasero etc. in Unity. Not sure about the terminal, but I guess, that too(or no?).

Comment

I can't understand the point of Gnome on Ubuntu over, say just installing Debian with Gnome. Frankly, if you're not using Unity, Ubuntu is pointless at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I can't understand the point of Gnome on Ubuntu over, say just installing Debian with Gnome. Frankly, if you're not using Unity, Ubuntu is pointless at this point.
            Ubuntu has an amazing amount of third-party PPAs that debian can't use. Extremely useful.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              Ubuntu has an amazing amount of third-party PPAs that debian can't use. Extremely useful.
              Which you can use in Mint or a zillion other Ubuntu-derivatives...

Comment

Although Unity, Pantheon, and Cinnamon have been changing why people pick a certain distro, repositories and installation are mostly what set different GNOME distros apart. So we should really just focus on getting SuSE, Fedora, or Debian into a shape where it's competitive with Ubuntu's basic user-friendly features. That is, a better installer and a more lax attitude towards patented things like codecs.

Unfortunately, the only distro I can think of that has a good relationship with upstream, good repos, and an understanding of closed software on occasion is Arch. Not exactly the easiest to install.

So I'd say if we can assemble some of those good things into one coherent place, it's an obvious choice to stop pulling teeth to get an Ubuntu GNOME release. Simply put, Ubuntu should cultivate an environment where any DE is usable on their platform without stepping on anyone's toes. If they create incompatibilities unnecessarily, it's not our responsibility to fix it.

I'd love for GNOME Ubuntu to continue, but it's already facing issues keeping up to date to begin with.

Comment

I accept your trolling challenge

Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
                  Indeed, Ubuntu is the dead horse, and this news just confirms the sinking of Ubuntu, not Gnome.

Comment

I don't want to use PPAs

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    I think that's a point to use Debian and not the other way around. I'm one former Ubuntu and advocate that has fully switched to Debian even for my relative's computers. I also like Gnome3 very much, far from dying, the best desktop to date. Gnome3 was almost unusable on Ubuntu, it works great on Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X