Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt & Wayland-Powered Hawaii 0.2 Desktop Released

Phoronix: Qt & Wayland-Powered Hawaii 0.2 Desktop Released

An open-source Christmas present for Wayland users this year is the release of Hawaii 0.2.0, the fresh desktop powered by Qt5 and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But there's no ISO, the download link on their website points to an ISO from May 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      But there's no ISO, the download link on their website points to an ISO from May 2013.
      I came here to look for an answer but only questions

Comment

I was looking to see what package manager they use, but could only find this bit of info:
        Maui doesn't have the traditional packages, it offers an innovative update system with point in time recovery and lower bandwidth usage; applications are shipped as bundles (compressed images that don't need to be decompressed).
        Can anyone explain what this means i.e. how this actually works?

Looking at their website, they could have chosen to use a generic looking laptop rather than something highly resembling a mac on their homepage to show the UI IMO. Pretty sweet, though.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          I was looking to see what package manager they use, but could only find this bit of info:

Can anyone explain what this means i.e. how this actually works?
          Idk, I can only give some possibilities:
          It is decompressed on run, probably cached in your system storage, so you download whole bundles and run them, no messy files. But that sounds like a potential drawback, so I guess I'm wrong

Looking at their website, they could have chosen to use a generic looking laptop rather than something highly resembling a mac on their homepage to show the UI IMO. Pretty sweet, though.
          That look reminds me of Chromium OS, lol

Comment

Hawaii is only the DE, the whole OS is Maui and afaik you have to build it .

Maui build system. Contribute to maui-pss/maui-build development by creating an account on GitHub.

(or if you want to build only hawaii :
            :house: General issue tracking, manifest and wiki (http://hawaiios.org) - hawaii-desktop/hawaii

)

Comment

So a new desktop environment built from scratch has been completed

Completed in maybe a sixteenth the entire lifetime of Enlightenment. Maybe because they didn't decide to rewrite everything (twice?) or bother with writing an entire library of foundation software and relied on existing toolkits instead.

Comment

Originally posted by dacresbu View Post
                Completed in maybe a sixteenth the entire lifetime of Enlightenment. Maybe because they didn't decide to rewrite everything (twice?) or bother with writing an entire library of foundation software and relied on existing toolkits instead.
                ...if by complete you mean version .2 and stable but not yet feature complete, then sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  ...if by complete you mean version .2 and stable but not yet feature complete, then sure.
                  I haven't see any activity on their repos for a whole month, does anyone know if Hawaii is still being developed?

Comment

Working...
                  X