Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Is Still Overwhelmingly A Canonical-Only Affair

Phoronix: Mir Is Still Overwhelmingly A Canonical-Only Affair

While Wayland 1.4 is set to be released next month with many new features and has seen contributors from many different companies, the Mir Display Server for Ubuntu continues to be developed exclusively by Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Mir Is Still Overwhelmingly A Canonical-Only Affair

While Wayland 1.4 is set to be released next month with many new features and has seen contributors from many different companies, the Mir Display Server for Ubuntu continues to be developed exclusively by Canonical...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU1MjY
    Not one bit amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      the Mir Display Server for Ubuntu continues to be developed exclusively by Canonical
      Developed and used exclusively by Canonical. In other words - nobody cares.

Comment

How can one even be overwhelmed by how Canonical-only any affair is? Seriously, it's almost ridiculous how he uses rhetoric to point out how bad they are. Who are the target audience? Fans will be pissed and all others will not care.

Comment

Why would nobody care about MIR? Ubuntu is still one of the most used distro out there.

The MIR branch stinks, but it does matter because its what a lot of linux (ubuntu) users are going to use.

Sadly enough Ubuntu is my distro of choice to, although I'm eying debian as an suitable replacement when MIR gets mainlined in ubuntu.
          Last edited by tmpdir; 25 December 2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
            Why would nobody care about MIR? Ubuntu is still one of the most used distro out there.

The MIR branch stinks, but it does matter because its what a lot of linux (ubuntu) users are going to use.

Sadly enough Ubuntu is my distro of choice to, although I'm eying debian as an suitable replacement when MIR gets mainlined in ubuntu.
            Lol. Just lol...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Lol. Just lol...
              Not constructive... just not constructive at all...

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                Please back this up with a credible reference, detailing how many installations of Ubuntu with Unity as primary DE exist (derivatives like Mint identify via the browser's user agent as Ubuntu but don't have anything to do with Mir).
                I've seen claims about Ubuntu's alleged popularity over and over again but so far none of such claims was ever backed up by facts.
                Last edited by Awesomeness; 25 December 2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

To put it simply: if Ubuntu was the only available Linux distribution I would stop using Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Please back this up with a credible reference, detailing how many installations of Ubuntu with Unity as primary DE exist (derivatives like Mint identify via the browser's user agent as Ubuntu but don't have anything to do with Mir).
                    I've seen claims about Ubuntu's alleged popularity over and over again but so far none of such claims was ever backed up by facts.
                    Can't tell if serious or not. Unless you've never spoken to normal people who don't visit sites like this, they tend to know the name Ubuntu before the name linux. And if you're too high up on your elitist mountain to notice how far they've gone, then at least do something about it, I'd like you to see you try.

Comment

Working...
                    X