Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assemble laptop/notebook

Hi folks,

Has any folk successfully assembled a laptop from parts? Just came across following website on Internet browsing;

They are selling laptop components.

I built many workstation and server w/o problem. But never built a laptop before. As curiosity I start this posting.

My main interest on building laptop is not solely for saving hardware cost but avoiding paying licence fee to MicroSoft which to me is only a waste. All laptops available on market are preloaded with Windows. I cease running Windows for >8 years. That means the buyer of the laptop must pay licence fee to MS as compulsory. This is extremely unjust. User of laptop is at liberty to select his/her own OS NOT being compelled running MS' prodcuts and/or paying licence fee to MS as forfeiture.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Originally posted by satimis View Post
    All laptops available on market are preloaded with Windows.
    Not true Dell, Leveno and (IIRC HP now too) all have systems that have linux installed on them instead of windows.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Not true Dell, Leveno and (IIRC HP now too) all have systems that have linux installed on them instead of windows.
      Thanks for your advice.

I posted this posting just after shopping on computer shops. All brand name laptops/notebooks must be sold together with Vista. There is no option. It is compulsory. I'll shop again on other malls.

Actually I don't prefer building laptop/notebook even though I have extensive experience on building desktop PCs and servers. Unless I'm compelled to do so.

What I dispute is paying licence fee to MicroSoft as compulsory for a product which I don't use.

Besides Windows Vista is preload on the laptop with a recover disc provided but without installer supplied. In this arrangement neither I can repartition the HD adding non-Windows OS. Parted in Open Source (similar to Partition Magic) may do the job to repartition existing HD with OS running. But there is a risk. In case of failure where can I get a Windows Vista installer to reinstall it? This is totally unjustified arrangement on paying the licence fee.

On virtualization I must run Windows Vista as Host and other OS as Guest. This is an unstable setup. On virtualization it needs a trouble free OS as Host.

There are Linux OS running on Windows without "wine", the simulator. This is NOT my preferred arrangement. (Maybe there are Unix whcih can run on Windows. But I'm now aware. I fail to see OpenBSD/FreeBSD/etc. can run direct on Windows)

For such reason I start googling parts to build my own laptop/notebook.

B.R.
      satimis
      Last edited by satimis; 20 April 2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The selection seems to vary from one region to another but they're definitely available.

Dell with Ubuntu :

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topi...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Lenovo with SuSE :

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c.../Info/08/Linux
        Last edited by bridgman; 20 April 2008, 01:12 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Solution found - we can build our own laptop/notebook

Hi folks,

I found my solution.

We can build our own laptop/notebook. Searching "barebone laptop" on google you'll find many suppliers there. The price is a little bid cheaper.

Cost saving in NOT my major concern. What I dispute is the laptops/notebooks available on computer shops all coming with MS Vista preloaded. They force me running Windows paying licence for a product which I already cease using for >8 years.

We can buy the entire laptop/notebook w/o the operating system. Alternatively we can buy the pieces of the laptop and fill in the blanks with other computer components which we can buy elsewhere. Similar to building desktop computer.

Cheer

satimis

Comment

Originally posted by satimis View Post
            Hi folks,

I found my solution.

We can build our own laptop/notebook. Searching "barebone laptop" on google you'll find many suppliers there. The price is a little bid cheaper.

Cost saving in NOT my major concern. What I dispute is the laptops/notebooks available on computer shops all coming with MS Vista preloaded. They force me running Windows paying licence for a product which I already cease using for >8 years.

We can buy the entire laptop/notebook w/o the operating system. Alternatively we can buy the pieces of the laptop and fill in the blanks with other computer components which we can buy elsewhere. Similar to building desktop computer.

Cheer

satimis
            fujitsu's notebooks always come with windows installation disc and a dvd of drivers. i've taken a tour of some barebones and seen that their price is not so affordable for their components. i think that one could easily find cheaper notebooks with vista/xp pro installed and pay less than for the barebone ones. i personally prefer to spend some less money and have a pc that has on windows and then remove it than taking about the same pc from another brand without windows and spend more.
            lenovo and dell don't have a real updated choice of pc mounting linux so i don't consider them very much. they should just give the opportunity to completely remove the os from the pc or the one to install an alternative operating system with a fee for this. this would be a good point to do.

Comment

Working...
            X