Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Blu-Ray Update Works On BD-Java Support

Phoronix: Open-Source Blu-Ray Update Works On BD-Java Support

The VideoLAN project has announced the release of libbluray 0.5.0, the latest version of the open-source Blu-ray library. This latest release has better BD-J Java support and other new/improved features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to watch Bluray Movies (commercial movies on bluray discs) on linux actually (somehow)?

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
      Is it possible to watch Bluray Movies (commercial movies on bluray discs) on linux actually (somehow)?
      Depends.

I just bought an external Blu-ray drive recently, along with two relatively new Blu rays.
      "Cloud Atlas" and "The Hobbit (Extended Ed.)".
      With both I was out of luck following the description above.

Not sure if I did something wrong or if it's just due to the discs being too new.
      In any case, watching Blu-ray movies on Linux is not an out-of-the-box experience as it seems.

P.S. The DRM protection schmeme coming with Blu rays is crazy.
      Think about this configuration: I am not able to watch Blu rays on a new Thinkpad notebook
      (running Windows for now), because the internal display is not HDCP-compliant.
      At least the software (PowerDVD 13) says so and refuses to play Blu-ray discs.

Comment

Not legally, no. You'd have to crack the DRM on the Blu-ray you bought. That said, the same is with DVDs. Just that DVDs use a really easy to crack DRM.

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Yeap. The DVD DRM scheme was really complicated, with several layers of keys. But the Blu-ray DRM scheme is outright paranoid ? they took all the complexity from DVDs and then added several more layers of keys. You can only watch the video if you combine the keys from the Blu-ray player, the player software, several keys in different locations on the Blu-ray disc itself, and sometimes also from the graphics card, the video cable and the screen. And even then it probably won't work until you dance a voodoo dance or something.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Not legally, no. You'd have to crack the DRM on the Blu-ray you bought. That said, the same is with DVDs. Just that DVDs use a really easy to crack DRM.
          Not legally in the US. In several counties it is very legal. In Canada for example, not only is it legal but you can purchase software to do the ripping in your major retailers.

Comment

Ok, so if you totally ignore the legal topic, it is technically possible like it is with dvd?
            For dvd you have decss-lib. So there is something similiar for blurays?

If I buy a external ir internal bluray-device, can I watch a bluray movie just by inserting a bluray and watch? With vlc?
            Or do I need to crack it before I watch it?
            Do I need windows to crack it? Can I do it just with linux?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Depends.

I just bought an external Blu-ray drive recently, along with two relatively new Blu rays.
              "Cloud Atlas" and "The Hobbit (Extended Ed.)".
              With both I was out of luck following the description above.

Not sure if I did something wrong or if it's just due to the discs being too new.
              In any case, watching Blu-ray movies on Linux is not an out-of-the-box experience as it seems.

Think about this configuration: I am not able to watch Blu rays on a new Thinkpad notebook
              (running Windows for now), because the internal display is not HDCP-compliant.
              At least the software (PowerDVD 13) says so and refuses to play Blu-ray discs.
              Buy Bluray disc.
              Lay it to side, as you also purchased the right to play.
              Torrent the video you need in bluray quality.
              Enjoy.

If you sell the disc, your legal right is waived, so don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Buy Bluray disc.
                Enjoy.

Except that, since copyright lawyers read copyright law like the devil reads the bible, they can consider torrenting to be distributing (you seed while you download), so they can still press charges against you. Several people have faced charges for this dubious reasoning in my country.

This is why we need copyright reform badly - torrenting needs to be made equivalent to downloading, and only considered distribution for the originator, the one who originally added the torrent online.

Comment

Ok, so if you totally ignore the legal topic, it is technically possible like it is with dvd?
                  For dvd you have decss-lib. So there is something similiar for blurays?

If I buy a external ir internal bluray-device, can I watch a bluray movie just by inserting a bluray and watch? With vlc?
                  Or do I need to crack it before I watch it?
                  Do I need windows to crack it? Can I do it just with linux?
                  Hi, I watch the couple bluray disks I have almost hassle free.
                  I followed the archwiki steps (libbluray, libaacs, putting KEYDB.CFG into the right place), then when I insert a BD I mount it, and xbmc plays it back no trouble. With mplayer you have to specify the mount directory. It's all on the wiki. (never tried with vlc)

YMMV of course depending on whether your disk uses AACS or BD+ (no experience with BD+) and if by any unluck you get a newer key and those you have in KEYDB.CFG had been revoked. It's a mess, and a PITA and designed against the user...

To sum up : you do not need to crack it, but buying any new BD is a risk of losing the ability to watch the ones you already own without hunting for new keys... real fun

Serafean.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Buy Bluray disc.
                    Enjoy.

If you're within the US, going to get in lots of trouble promoting the distribution of copyrighted material.

Last time I checked within the US with a lawyer, merrily trying to watch your purchased copyrighted material was not against the law. Hence, it does go against the product license to try to break the encryption, but the seller did sell you the product with the intent of you watching correct? And is the owner of the material or the State going to complain as long as you're not exploiting the unencrypted material? However, distruting or profiting likely is, as you already mentioned. And merrily laying the unprotected copy aside for kids to access, justifies the "Ignorantia juris non excusat" or ignorance is not an excuse. (Hence, you can be guilty of distributing by carelessly leaving the unprotected media around the house with kids sharing with their friends.) Best to just refer people to lawyers if they have any questions when concerning what they can and cannot do with copyrighted material, or laws in general

However, as with most others, I & others tend to boycott the the Blu-ray industry or refrain from purchasing such items due to the overly zealous approach of copyrighting tactics. With DVD's, I never copied them unless the disk was damaged, which was rare if ever! Now with Blu-ray Movies, I have to copy every one and use makemkv in order to decrypt and watch. (This wastes hours of time, and incurs much frustration with my Linux operating system.) While in the process, I do make an unencrypted copy so I don't have to repeatedly perform this process over and over. A complete waste of mine and other innocent peoples' time! (Besides, it wastes energy to have to unencrypt media over and over, albeit little due to processors having hardware acceleration.)

Comment

Working...
                    X