This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Uhm... Use Kubuntu, not Ubuntu. Gnome simply sucks at being a window manager . That said... can't you also just distro-upgrade through apt-get in Ubuntu?
    Yeah, you should be able to do that. I've logged in via ssh into my server via remote to trigger the upgrade to 8.04. I know, I know- ballsy. But it went without a hitch and it was only when I'd done several just like it.

Comment

• I can just do a apt-get install kde-desktop, there's just more important things to work on right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        Uhm... Use Kubuntu, not Ubuntu. Gnome simply sucks at being a window manager . That said... can't you also just distro-upgrade through apt-get in Ubuntu?
        Yes, you can... HOWEVER, and it not only I who says this (there's actually a good chunk of data proving it), performance of the upgraded distribution may be degraded somewhat, especially if many core components are upgraded and some parts changed altogether (as there would be lingering configuration files and other things that might get in the way). The most dramatic test case I've seen was when a friend of mine upgraded his Ubuntu machine from a version with traditional init to the current (at the time) version with init-ng. The system wouldn't boot up faster, and actually felt A LOT MORE sluggish than before the upgrade due to the amount of things changed (init, udev, hal, dbus, etc), and the fact that there were actually some conflicting configurations across many configuration files. Needless to say that a full re-install (fresh install) of the system proved to be much better. Of course this is a worst case scenario, but I've seen this kind of behavior happen to many other distros (including Gentoo and LFS), unless you also take care of those lingering residual files that might compromise performance/stability... But in order to do that, you pretty much have to actually KNOW which they are.

Comment

• hmm, i dont like kde, or gnome. I prefer Enlightment

Comment

• XFCE4 here if possible. Now with GenToo I can't confirm this slow-down syndrome. etc-update is made exactly for this purpose. Granted it's nothing for newcomers but for a pro user it doesn't yield a problem. I've got the same old GenToo distro here I've updated ever since. I'm a bit astonished Ubuntu can't pull this off which is a "restricted" system ( restricted is the contrary of GenToo which means binaries are always compiled with the same USE flags and therefore the system layout is predictable and known ) whereas an unrestricted one can do it.

Comment

• every distro has its niche , just like finnix is great for usb booting x86 / x86_64 or familiar for your phone / handheld. When setting up mothers machine i didnt even consider gentoo because as good a job as i could do setting it up she wouldnt have a clue when it comes to maintaining / updating it

as far as desktop envs go i dont mind if i have to xinit ut3 (ontopic)

Comment

• Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                Yes, you can... HOWEVER, and it not only I who says this (there's actually a good chunk of data proving it), performance of the upgraded distribution may be degraded somewhat, especially if many core components are upgraded and some parts changed altogether (as there would be lingering configuration files and other things that might get in the way).
                Indeed. However, having said this, there seems to be few gotchas going from Feisty to Gutsy or from Gutsy to Hardy. Your mileage may vary depending on installation configuration. I typically back up my data and nuke and pave about every third update of a given distribution unless I know there's an upgrade path problem like you described.

Comment

• Lets not leave out fluxbox here either.

Comment

• Epic please take note, this is how a good company keeps in contact with their audience.

This is how it should be done, not this BS when it's done crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Epic please take note, this is how a good company keeps in contact with their audience.

This is how it should be done, not this BS when it's done crap.
                      Keep in mind, deanjo, they had a little of this "BS when it's done crap" before they made the Linux client available, though Bioware DID handle it better even when they did the "when it's done" type announcements about progress. This deafening silence on MacOS and Linux isn't really good for Epic.

Comment

Working...
                      X