This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    Let's just say that deanjo doesn't represent everyone's view.

Thanks for dropping by and giving a word - if you could keep letting us known of small, but confirmed updates, that would be great.
    No problem! When we're close to release I'll be sure to drop everyone here a line.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
      No problem! When we're close to release I'll be sure to drop everyone here a line.
      I guess that's the best we can all hope for. I just wish there was a bit more feedback than this has seen up to now. I'll watch out for you dropping us a line- if I've budget and it still looks appealing when it happens, I'll give it some consideration for purchase.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
        This is an excellent example of why we don't discuss patch development publically until it's close to release.
        Just to make something perfectly clear: THIS IS NOT A PATCH. This is THE release. You have not released the Linux client that was promised, therefore we are nine months in and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO RUN the game I paid ~55$ USD for.

If the Linux client does not get released, there will be YEARS of bad blood. There will be so much noise from one end of the internet to the other that Epic will wonder why multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns fall flat and their products sit idly on shelves.

Do not ever forget that while Linux is often maligned, we are also some of the most technically proficient and knowledgeable users around. We may not run Linux 24/7, and we may just be that guy that EVERYONE goes to when things don't work right. You slight me and you'll lose sales not just from me, but also the ~50 people who take my word without question, and likely a great deal more who listen to people who listen to me.

Linux is a small part of the market, but it's a very very important one. Do not renege on your promises.
        Last edited by Forge; 02 July 2008, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forge View Post
          Just to make something perfectly clear: THIS IS NOT A PATCH. This is THE release. You have not released the Linux client that was promised, therefore we are nine months in and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO RUN the game I paid ~55$ USD for.

If the Linux client does not get released, there will be YEARS of bad blood. There will be so much noise from one end of the internet to the other that Epic will wonder why multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns fall flat and their products sit idly on shelves.

Do not ever forget that while Linux is often maligned, we are also some of the most technically proficient and knowledgeable users around. We may not run Linux 24/7, and we may just be that guy that EVERYONE goes to when things don't work right. You slight me and you'll lose sales not just from me, but also the ~50 people who take my word without question, and likely a great deal more who listen to people who listen to me.

Linux is a small part of the market, but it's a very very important one. Do not renege on your promises.
          So you see something wrong with being promised something, paying hard cold cash going on that promise and it not being delivered to eh?

Comment

I wish we had as much clout as you think we do.* I also wish Epic would release what they said they would. There's been a lot of delusion in this affair.

WarTourist: you guys are really late. This would be easier to palate if there was some explanation. Repeated links to the FAQ are easier than and basically equivalent to copy pasting a "we're still working on it" reply, but a little more would be nice. Something about having problems with the OpenGL port, or getting GameSpy to work, or trouble with lawyers or whatever it is. Something like that makes delays, if not more bearable, at least more understandable, and would avoid at least some of the acrimony though some people will always be cranky. Of course, that could just end up as repeated links to the FAQ: "we are still having problems with opengl/lawyers/gamespy/foo"

*IMHO we have more than some people think, but not that much. See how nVidia, Adobe, and Epic treat us. And those are examples of companies that actually sometimes release things for Linux at all. But you're right to a degree: just today I helped a friend order a PC with an AMD gfx card because of how nVidia acts towards Linux. I'll do it again when another of our multiplayer buddies gets his planned new machine. These are the same guys I can suggest to that we play some Quake.

Comment

• To Forge, Deanjo and MamiyaOtaru : ok guys, we are all disappointed by the delay of linux UT3, but you could see that WarTourist is giving us some news, that he's probably not responsible for the delay of the linux client.
              Also, he's giving us so news about the advancement of the project -or, at least, saying that it's still on his way-. How many Linux client disappeared without any further notice ?

Let say that for now, many game editors don't see the truly potential of Linux for gaming, and that probably the linux client has been more ressource consuming than expected, to manage with needs that Epic should have for stabilizing the windows client (which is probably 90% of the sales) and the server.

I'd rather like Epic that say not much but release at least a linux client, than a Valve attitude to say nothing and ignore purely and simply the linux side (almost for those that remember that Counter Strike 1.x let the choice of the renderer between Direct X and OpenGL...).
              Or worst, the remaining games editors that says nothing about linux and therefore, do nothing...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                To Forge, Deanjo and MamiyaOtaru : ok guys, we are all disappointed by the delay of linux UT3, but you could see that WarTourist is giving us some news, that he's probably not responsible for the delay of the linux client.
                I know that WarTourist has not (as far as we know anyways) had any part in delaying the Linux UT3 release, but conversely he has GIVEN US NOTHING. Empty pretty words. "Oh yeah, it's 9 months late, and it'll be later before it's done, but we're still working on it." Anyone can say that, and while I'm not calling WarTourist a liar at all, I'm also saying that he's given us no new information, just a pat on the head and a calm request to wait still more.

At this rate UT3 Linux will be released about 6 weeks after the last Windows player gets tired of it and uninstalls.

Comment

At this rate UT3 Linux will be released about 6 weeks after the last Windows player gets tired of it and uninstalls.
                  Great, then it will be available in shops for about 10 to 20?. Not too bad IMO.

Okay, back to getting serious:

I really appreciate your posts in here WarTourist. It is great to finally get some official statement beside "there is the FAQ and, uhm, that's it...". I hope the Linux binary will be out soon so that I consider buying it. I hope that a demo for Linux will be released since I tend to only buy games where I have a chance to test with a demo if it really runs on my box. And no, I won't buy it before there is a native Linux client since I got no Windows to run it, so what should I do with it? (No, WINE ain't no alternative to run the software!)

Comment

• OMG! Someone from Epic has actually said something about the linux client. Quite shocking really ... Though, I have to say this is way, way, way too late. It's soon 9 months since the release of the Windows-version for Christ sake! Don't EVER expect me to buy this game after such a delay without any word of it's progress or official reasons for delay. I was actually considering buying it, but I'm glad I didn't. 9 months and no client? Please don't think I'm going to believe it's due to some issues making it, because that just doesn't add up at all. 9 months is plenty of time to make that client, after all, the linux server was released a long time ago. Why should the client be any different?

Word of advice: If you want me as a customer, please pay the courtesy of actually giving us an update now and then. As some already have argued, it makes the situation at least more bearable and understandably. Behaving as you guys have done (deleting/closing threads, not saying anything for a very long time etc.) is just plain rude and provoking. Sorry, but this is just not worth buying (i.e. supporting) at all. Better luck next time. Maybe I'll buy it then

Comment

• I think that the actual UT3 game is least of real goals for linux gaming, be it speculation, countless games are licensed to run on previous Unreal Tournament Engines, and assuming the entire engine gets ported and not just some form of compatability layer, hope that it expands other game developers apart from Epic to easily build a Linux client for their games.

Combined with the semi-confirmed ports of the source engine, and what one would have to assume will be the steam client aswell, the next year could see very big things happening for not just linux game development, but as the user base grows, more growth in linux itself.

Fingers crossed?

Comment

Working...
                      X