X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Phoronix: 5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Five months ago from today, Unreal Tournament 3 for the PC was released in North America. Linux gamers around the world, however, were let down with the lack of an available Linux client and all UT3 gamers were impacted by the lack of any Linux server for this game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dugged http://digg.com/pc_games/5_Months_An..._UT3_For_Linux

Comment

In the process of signing up for digg to diggit! I don't know if any of this will amount to anything but I certainly don't mind letting a company know what I want as a customer. Five months is unacceptable.

Comment

It seems like Epic is looking for programs with OpenGL knowledge for future games... I can only hope it means Epic will have Linux ports for more games.

(Digg article: http://digg.com/pc_games/Epic_Games_...Games_to_Linux)

Comment

OpenGL is used in PlayStation3 console, it does not mean Linux games.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
            Wii and Mac as well.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
              It means an easier path for someone to make one. While one doesn't mean the other, it doesn't always preclude the other. In the case of UT3, there's no good reason, apparently, other than their legal department not signing off on something- if it's a license, I might forgive them.

Comment

The hangup isn't an abstraction layer or portability of the game.....Its almost never those two things because those problems can be worked out(and we would likely be getting a steady stream of progress reports on top of it). Its a-holes and their copyrights or patents. Its the usual suspects using their government granted privileges to jerk us Linux users around and ensuring they don't actually have to compete in a true free market place.
                Last edited by moonlitfire; 20 April 2008, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I know this happens, and moonlitfire actually gave a valid reason that could be used... I think it's legal department of Epic trying to get the legal department of the other company to let the game be released... just look at some of the integrated solutions that they have, i notice right away that at least 4 of em don't list linux anywhere on their site... anyways is Unreal tournament 3 actually playable with ease on linux using wine?

Comment

I think it is about time to start demanding your money back if you purchased this game with the promise that there would be a Linux port.

Comment

Working...
                    X