Linux Developers Asked To Distance Themselves From RMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Faster system ? (I don't say it will be faster, but I would really like to see some benchmarks on PTS)
    it wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      u could maybe but why would you want to, out of hate against rms?
      Maybe because 78 lines and 4 headers is too much for "true", or 124 lines/7 headers for "tty"?
      No, I'm not joking: that's the linecount (wc -l) from coreutils 8.22.
      In toybox, those commands are 21 and 32 lines, respectively--including the kconfig information.

(Both include standard copyright notices, wihitespace, and so on.)

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
        I am doing something related. Granted it has nothing to do with this story or RMS. Mine is more of a re-factoring attempt.
        There isn't any GPL or LGPL code with the exception to the Linux Kernel.
        I don't get what avoiding GPL or LGPL code has to do with refactoring. Maybe that wasn't the intention, but with the part I quoted and some other pieces later, it sounded A LOT like you are trying hard to avoid the GPL, and also makes me wonder why do you keep the Linux kernel instead of using Minix or a BSD.

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
        Maybe because 78 lines and 4 headers is too much for "true", or 124 lines/7 headers for "tty"?
        In toybox, those commands are 21 and 32 lines, respectively--including the kconfig information.

Still, refactoring exists. You don't need to always start a new project with a different project with a different license (sometimes, with a different license it won't fulfill the same need), but rather fix/rewrite what is wrong.
        Also, if they include copyright notices, that might explain up to 20 lines of difference, as the copyright notice for GPL software is usually big. That's not what counts, as in the moment you know it, you cease to read it, and it doesn't get in the way of maintenance.

Comment

Yellow and blue make green...... no, Blue and yellow make green.

Merry Christmas kiddies! More pics please!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post

I like the comparison of code bloat given by the author of linenoise https://github.com/antirez/linenoise

Line editing with some support for history is a really important feature for command line utilities. Instead of retyping almost the same stuff again and again it's just much better to hit the up arrow and edit on syntax errors, or in order to try a slightly different command. But apparently code dealing with terminals is some sort of Black Magic: readline is 30k lines of code, libedit 20k. Is it reasonable to link small utilities to huge libraries just to get a minimal support for line editing?
            linenoise is Under 1,000 lines of BSD license source code.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              I don't get what avoiding GPL or LGPL code has to do with refactoring. Maybe that wasn't the intention, but with the part I quoted and some other pieces later, it sounded A LOT like you are trying hard to avoid the GPL, and also makes me wonder why do you keep the Linux kernel instead of using Minix or a BSD.
              Avoiding the GPL/LGPL wasn't exactly intentional at first it just worked out that way, and I figured why not just go with it, and create a system that is Open Source and friendly to all developers regardless of there preference for OSS or Proprietary Code.

Refractoring in my case is far more broad, as almost nothing on my system even resembles traditional Linux, the first screenshot is the root directory.

Linux From Scratch, has 50+ packages and that just for a Basic Command-line Distro. My package count is at 32 and even includes Wayland
              and everything needed to build an Application Development Toolkit comparable to Qt. Those 32 packages provide everything needed to build a full desktop environment, and 99% of it is cross-platform.

Supports: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD
              iOS, Android, Blackberry QNX.

x86, x86_64 and Arm

Minimum system requirements: 75 MHz CPU and 8 MB RAM

Lastly I want to build a better distro not a crippled one "Minix and the BSD's" kernels are not on the same level as the Linux kernel.
              Last edited by zester; 24 December 2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
                Avoiding the GPL/LGPL wasn't exactly intentional at first it just worked out that way, and I figured why not just go with it, and create a system that is Open Source and friendly to all developers regardless of there preference for OSS or Proprietary Code.
                Friendly to all developers? How friendly will it be when someone forks it and makes it closed source? Would that be friendly to you or anyone? And what about the final user, don't you want to be friendly to users?

You're trying to be friendly with those that want to make it closed source, the good guys that care about friendliness and sharing, right?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by berarma View Post
                    Friendly to all developers? How friendly will it be when someone forks it and makes it closed source? Would that be friendly to you or anyone? And what about the final user, don't you want to be friendly to users?

You're trying to be friendly with those that want to make it closed source, the good guys that care about friendliness and sharing, right?

My contribution is in the form of "Patches", "Premake Scripts", "Documentation", "Lua Binding around various Library's" everything else is BSD/MIT/Zlib/Boost Licensed via there authors, and already available to the public.

Disney, Pixar, Sony, DreamWorks, IBM, Nvidia, AMD, Blackberry, Google contributions make up at-least 50% of what I have outside of the core, many of those particular library's can be found not only in Blender, Gimp, Krita, MyPaint ... but also in Autodesk(Maya, Mudbox, Motionbuilder), The Foundry products(Mari, Nuke, Modo, ..), and many others.

Those very same "Proprietary Evil Bastards" contribute more code to Open Source and Linux, then every single FSF GNU developer combined.

I have Linux versions of Maya, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, Modo, Mari, Nuke, 3DCoat on an education License and with the exception to Mari(Texture Painting with Shaders) and 3DCoat(Voxel Sculpting) I prefer Blender over all the rest, because I feel its a better tool.

Open and Closed Source can and does co-exist, and regardless I still have my source, and if someone decided to take everything and close source it, has absolutely no effect on me. And that's there right if they do choose todo so.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      and no kernel hacker reacted to that mail. Why did phoronix?
                      Money for more toe shoes.

Comment

Working...
                      X