No announcement yet.

Linux Developers Asked To Distance Themselves From RMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mystifying people is a valuable teaching tool" - grade A douchebaggery right there.

"The Linux kernel is just a stop-gap until the GNU Hurd kernel has been fine-tuned anyway" - LOL! It's gonna need a heck of a lot more than just "fine-tuning" before anyone takes it seriously. The damn thing's almost as old as me and still hasn't been finished.

I seriously hope that presentation is just a fake. If not, it's proof that RMS has completely lost the plot.

Comment

Liam who??

Comment

so next time I write a rant under a youtube video about some linux topic I will get here a news too?

So what exactly makes this guy more relevant than the other 100 Million guys bitching about linux linus or rms or something?
        I dont see here a news.

Still I answer something. Most people who dont want to call "it" gnu/linux doesnt mean that out of respect. even calling it GNU would not be proper at least if you want to get the blessing from rms.

On the bsd world its funnily much more clearer. I dont really know whos fault it is. Why does there exist 1 Trillion linux-distros but only 10 Bsds?

And all the sucessful have bsd in its name dragonfly died etc. so at least I know only openbsd and freebsd is there even more? ^^

Oh I forgot NetBsd.

Not even the true hardcore gpl distros that use 0 unfree stuff call themself tristanGNU or something. So u have this word-monsters like Tristian GNU/Linux, if u dont use emacs as your browser or something u will shortcut it to something. And then u have if you want to talk about a specific distro only the distro name if you want to talk about all distries that use linux u call it linux.

Its just pure lazyness that linux is more used as a term.

I mean there are good reasons that u call maybe people with afroamerican background in the current political correct words. but if you are not in a environment where u get publicly punished for using not the p.c. words u maybe use other words. At least thats true for linux / gnu.

LiGnuX isnt that bad of a idea even it will not happen, because u mention X, if you want to call your os after the userland what seems to be common outside of the gnu/linux world, most people dont use console as their primary usecase so X should be mentioned but renaming it to LiGnuwland or something like that would be strange

Even I would vote for a GnuLand ^^

Comment

Why isn't it called GNU/MIT/Linux? I haven't seen one desktop Linux distro working without X11 which isn't a GNU GPL Project.

Comment

and for what reason would RMS host a presentation on imgur (and put in the crappiest picture of himself)? Smells mighty fishy to me.

PS: also http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html never mentions "ligmux" and that would be the first place where it would be mentioned. another point for "someone is trying to flame-bait"
            Last edited by YoungManKlaus; 23 December 2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Upon reading this, I put the trololo song on loop, and it made the thread much more awesome. Especially the first few posts.

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
              My theory: sometimes Michael needs to publish some controversial content to generate more traffic and more money with ads. Normal...
              Theory? What? Michael pretty much spelled it out in the last paragraph of this article...

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
                and for what reason would RMS host a presentation on imgur (and put in the crappiest picture of himself)? Smells mighty fishy to me.

PS: also http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html never mentions "ligmux" and that would be the first place where it would be mentioned. another point for "someone is trying to flame-bait"
                Lignux is valid, it was a suggestion from RMS instead of GNU/Linux

From emacs this time:
                This article is one way of doing that. Another way is to use the
                terms "Linux-based GNU system" (or "GNU/Linux system" or "Lignux" for
                short) to refer to the combination of the Linux kernel and the GNU
                system.

Copyright 1996 Richard Stallman
                Source: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00852.html

Lignux usenet discussions:
                Last edited by ObiWan; 23 December 2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                  Lignux is valid, it was a suggestion from RMS instead of GNU/Linux

From emacs this time:

Source: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00852.html

Lignux usenet discussions:
                  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...c/%22lignux%22
                  that was in '96, later everyone including RMS decided that "GNU/Linux" was better than "lignux"

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Why isn't it called GNU/MIT/Linux? I haven't seen one desktop Linux distro working without X11 which isn't a GNU GPL Project.
                    Rebecca Black OS

Comment

No news

I don't think it's a good idea to generically name distributions after one of their components thus creating confussion about what is what. GNU is the project that inspired them and even get them started, that's something to acknowledge. I'll hear technical/practical arguments for a better name but I won't buy the hatred of some.

That said, maybe Michael got his much wanted ad clicks on behalf of showing some of the dirt that lives in the open source world. Kudos.

Comment

Working...
                      X