RadeonSI Performance Patch Sharply Improves Frame-Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xnor View Post
    That's unfortunate. There must be other "bugs" because HD7xxx series performance is quite bad: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ing_gpus&num=3
    Sorry, I was wrong. The patch also affects Tahiti and Pitcairn.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      Woo! Given that 7850 is Pitcairn, and that's what I've got at home, I'll be testing out the next RC this makes it into.

Supposedly Alex applied it to his drm fixes tree, but I don't see that he's pushed anything into his drm-fixes-3.13 tree yet. Guess I'll have to wait an extra RC or build the kernel myself.

Comment

Does this effect the new 200 series cards too?
        How does the performance compare to the proprietary driver? To equal priced nvidia using proprietary?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Does this effect the new 200 series cards too?
          How does the performance compare to the proprietary driver? To equal priced nvidia using proprietary?
          Well, if we assume that this affects all Bonaire, Hawaii, Tahiti, and Pitcairn variants, then that means that the following cards are affected:
          R9 290X
          R9 290
          R9 280X
          R9 280
          R9 260X
          R9 260

Radeon HD 8770 (OEM)
          Radeon HD 8860 (OEM)
          Radeon HD 8950 (OEM)
          Radeon HD 8970 (OEM)

Radeon HD 7790
          Radeon HD 7850
          Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
          Radeon HD 7870 XT
          Radeon HD 7950
          Radeon HD 7950 Boost
          Radeon HD 7970
          Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

This list includes any cards identified by wikipedia as having a variant of any of the above chips (the pro/xt/etc variants). Given that I haven't looked at the kernel sources and register specs, I can't say for sure if all of the above cards are affected, just that they are descended from Bonaire, Hawaii, Tahiti, and Pitcairn. At the high end it looks like there's also a "Malta" chip which isn't included in the above list, but it's possible that maybe those might be affected as well. The Malta looks on paper like it's a dual Tahiti XT2 solution, but I haven't spent the time to research it.

Note: I don't work for AMD, and most of the above is either sourced from Wikipedia or guesswork based on my experience.

Comment

Can we say:

Oooops

I'm actually glad this was a simple issue. Makes you wonder how many other performance regressions are out there as something gets looked over or bypassed.

Anybody have nay idea of when Southern Islands enabled APU's will ship?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              Anybody have nay idea of when Southern Islands enabled APU's will ship?
              January 14

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                Knowing Micheal, he's probably already getting ready to do a benchmark trying this new patch out.
                Sadly not. For those much behind on their Phoronix reading, I haven't even written a new article in a week now and won't be back into my office until mid-January. When I am, then I will get back to benchmarking.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  Hey Marek,

What was the rest of the specs on the box you tested this on? Just wondering - we might be able to find something similar in the open benchmarking site to compare the Catalyst results to.

Comment

I will benchmark it tomorrow on my 7950: Catalyst vs 3.13 vs 3.13 + patch
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Merry Christmas to all but the 7750 and 7770 cards are part of the family islands of the south, I think they should also have advantages. thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X