Microsoft SIlverlight Proposed For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why ?

Even on a Windows box I wouldn't touch Silverlight with a shitty stick.

As for Netfix, it's their problem not mine, there are some very helpful chaps from Sweden

Comment

What I've gathered is that nobody (myself included) really cares about getting silverlight support... they care about getting support for things like Netflix and things that use silverlight DRM. And since silverlight is the only way to watch that content on a computer for the forseeable future, this project has been very helpful towards that goal.
      If it means installing a PPA or another browser to make it work almost flawlessly, that's fine by me.

Comment

its good

my tv services using internet need silverlight, some flash games need 3d support. i don t need this but some people need it.. but i don t agree using this by default.

Comment

Silverlight is pretty much dead on the internet stage, and CSharp/MSIL isn't too far behind bar some Windows activity.

I think LLVM is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
            Why ?

Even on a Windows box I wouldn't touch Silverlight with a shitty stick.
            I've got hunch Shuttleworth is talking behind the scenes with Microsoft. Microsoft is a plane crashing and it needs a new approach with open soure community and Canonical is the outfit they are open the doors with. It's all about Microsoft succedding in mobile realm and could computing. Two areas they are putting everything in and failing badly. They need to get a grip in the market.

I used to be a fan of Ubuntu and Canoncial, but I just shifted to ArchLinux. I didn't like developers (smug + unfriendly) attitudes, and seen a shift in the company, both the missed opportunities, and the lack to integrate with other OS projects. I will still use their distro's in different deployments but Archlinux is on my main rig.

Comment

This sounds like the perfect thing for Ubuntu! I hope they have a happy life together, as they deserve each other.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                I've got hunch Shuttleworth is talking behind the scenes with Microsoft. Microsoft is a plane crashing and it needs a new approach with open soure community and Canonical is the outfit they are open the doors with. It's all about Microsoft succedding in mobile realm and could computing. Two areas they are putting everything in and failing badly. They need to get a grip in the market.
                I fail to see how enabling Silverlight support on a desktop Linux distribution is going to propel Microsoft to mobile supremacy?

Aside from anything else I think it is much more likely Mark Shuttleworth's priority is for Ubuntu Touch to succeed in the mobile space.

Comment

How can people still question wether Canonical is the supplyer for Microfts' trojan horse? Divide and rule, that's Ubuntu for you.

Comment

Wow, what an atrocious idea!

May it never come to pass

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                      I fail to see how enabling Silverlight support on a desktop Linux distribution is going to propel Microsoft to mobile supremacy?

Aside from anything else I think it is much more likely Mark Shuttleworth's priority is for Ubuntu Touch to succeed in the mobile space.
                      It called promoting people into coding their apps.

Recently there was a release of an IDE and modules that convert C# into native apps that run on most platforms, with Microsoft's being supported as a default obviously. I think it uses LLVM and some other projects from Mono and Java to do the converting works.

If Microsoft can get people to look into C# and use it as their base then it can only help to build their mobile deployment and as a bonus their web presence with Silverlight. One of the big complaints about Surface and Windows Phones are the lack of street cred apps.

Comment

Working...
                      X