possible port of orange box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wt....noad thats awesome

hope this doesn't hit wine development hard though.

I also hope we don't have an additional charge for games previously purchased (to use the linux ports).

incidentally icculus hinted at the weighted companion cube (source) ages ago in an older finger http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...&time=13-17-00

judgn by postal 3 n pennyarcade, it might jst be tht steam is coming 2 mac as well...
    Last edited by hmmm; 06 May 2008, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Michael, what do you need to confirm:

1. Steam with UT3 and Orange Box? or
      2. Steam with UT3 only?

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
        wt....noad thats awesome

hope this doesn't hit wine development hard though.

I also hope we don't have an additional charge for games previously purchased (to use the linux ports).

incidentally icculus hinted at the weighted companion cube (source) ages ago in an older finger http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...&time=13-17-00

judgn by postal 3 n pennyarcade, it might jst be tht steam is coming 2 mac as well...
        I think it could be beneficial to Wine project, not needing to fix things to get Steam working because there is a native client, is a time and effort saving.

Comment

well I'm thinking that development might slow - Steam is the MOST VOTED application on crossover (with Orange Box #9) http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/toplists/ .... I'm still treating this as speculation until Michael/Valve/Icculus/Epic (pick one) give us an official confirmation (hopefully accompanied by an apology for delaying ut3 n keeping us in the dark)

Comment

I can't wait!

Comment

Wow, uh.. Yeah thats all pretty awesome. I would highly doubt Valve would charge us for a Linux version of the Orange box if we already own the Orange Box though. I think when you would load up Steam on Linux you would probably just get a list of the games that are available under Linux and it might just grey out the others that aren't on Linux yet you have them for Windows.

Who knows, all I know is if this all pans out the way we hope, Valve will probably become my new favorite game development company. Plus with Steam we'll finally have some real statistics on who is running Linux.

Comment

It would in effect pretty much kill crossover's game version of their product.
                Of course if everything started coming out in a native client I can't say I would shed a tear to see Wine die a quick death.

Comment

Team Fortress 2 works pretty well under Wine already. A native client is always nice, but if DirectX 9 support in Wine matures it'd almost not be needed.

Comment

well savage 2 has just been released on steam adding more fuel 2 the fire...

Comment

Originally posted by etymxris View Post
                      Team Fortress 2 works pretty well under Wine already. A native client is always nice, but if DirectX 9 support in Wine matures it'd almost not be needed.
                      Yeah but if Wine's Directx 9 support matures, then we can pretty much kiss any chances of alot of ports to Linux bye bye. They'll just tell us "Go use Wine, stop bothering us." when we ask them for a port. So basically, Wine would potentially kill gaming on Linux. Then when some new Directx comes out, guess what, you won't be able to play the latest games because then you'll have to watch for Wine to catch up. Oh wait, Wine is always playing catch up.

I like Wine, but you can't depend on it dude.

Comment

Working...
                      X