possible port of orange box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible port of orange box?

Today something strange happened in an irc channel i frequent, thought i would share it:

title says it all folks, from #ubuntu-offtopic 17:06:25 -!- ValveSoft [[email protected]] has joined #ubuntu-offtopic 17:06:35 < ValveSoft> we’re recruiting programmers at valve sof…

any thoughts? i mean to me it sounds ligitimate but im not sure... the irc person on his own isn't much but with the job description and the fact that the irc guy was around for 3 mins or so with no trolling just giving out an email and the link to the job description..

If I remember correctly, I have visited the link to Valve's job page a few months ago and there was only something about "porting applications to other platforms", but nothing as clear as "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform."

If this is true, then Valve once again shows that it's definitly one of the best game developer companies there is. Hopefully they (in case they will) port the older games (HL2/CSS, maybe even HL1) to Linux aswell.

Comment

Actually in the original posts about this job announcement there was the mention of porting not only apps, but games too.

Comment

From http://www.omgpcgames.com/content/view/45/37/ :

This interview with Vince Desi, the CEO for Running With Scissors, seems to further confirm steam & source are coming to linux....

" As a developer the most important element of an engine is stability. The Valve Source engine provides stability, for single player and multiplayer, also they provide excellent support. As POSTAL III is its own unique game, we are doing a lot of custom coding, so it’s better for us to know what we have to work with from the start. And STEAM is a major plus. "

OMG! PC Games: What systems will Postal III be released on?
        Vince Desi: "Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Mac and Linux."

I have a sneaking suspicion that valve was holding back ut3 so that it can release ut3, orange box and pennyarcade with the steam client linux launch....
        Last edited by hmmm; 06 May 2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
          I have a sneaking suspicion that valve was holding back ut3 so that it can release ut3, orange box and pennyarcade with the steam client linux launch....
          Well if thats the truth that would be HUGE. Those releases alone would be the huge stepping stones needed to really put Linux where we have always hoped it to be as a gaming platform. Of course I will not hold my breath but I already own a copy of The Orange Box, so playing Team Fortress 2 in Linux natively would be very very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Well if thats the truth that would be HUGE. Those releases alone would be the huge stepping stones needed to really put Linux where we have always hoped it to be as a gaming platform. Of course I will not hold my breath but I already own a copy of The Orange Box, so playing Team Fortress 2 in Linux natively would be very very cool.
            well penny arcade has definitely been confirmed for linux http://www.hotheadgames.com/pa.php ... and its advertised on steam....

but it will also be distributed for linux via greenhouse http://www.playgreenhouse.com/ ....
            Last edited by hmmm; 06 May 2008, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Damn Valve, holding back linux ut3. >P

Comment

Awesome news @hmmm, if your theory is truth then we've got the most important gaming platform under Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Awesome news @hmmm, if your theory is truth
                  I can tell you right now it's not theory but fact... I'll have a news posting once I can get double confirmation on it.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I can tell you right now it's not theory but fact... I'll have a news posting once I can get double confirmation on it.
                    Holy *censored* *beep* *censored* shit

Comment

Working...
                    X