Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio Gains Greater FreeBSD Compatibility

Phoronix: PulseAudio Gains Greater FreeBSD Compatibility

As some other interesting open-source audio news this week besides PulseAudio now supporting the systemd journal is that Lennart Poettering's sound server is continuing to be better supported on FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. Wake me up when it gains better Linux compatibility.

Comment

There are software projects which are clearly meaningful and benefit a lot of people and there are ones that just waste developer resources. This particular project is a complete waste of resources for two sets of problems.

1. BSD nutcases are hostile to anything created by Lennard due to childish reasons. They always talk down on pulse-audio and ALSA claiming that their own out of date OSS is better (my ass). And also personal attacks on Lennard himself. FreeBSD nuts are going to be impossible to work with due to this and they would try making it as hard as possible to get the job done (like every outer project involving BSD) and then once it's done, they quickly and quietly incorporate them into their tree without much gratitude.

2. Sound, together with graphics are almost never used at all on FreeBSD. Only some network applications that's it. Evenly the BSD devs/scriptkiddies use Mac OSX while trolling at Linux.

Originally posted by Awesomeness
      Great. Wake me up when it gains better Linux compatibility.
      You'll be sleeping forever cause FreeBSD will never get decent Linux compatibility. Their Linux-compatility layer is always one major version behind the current stock kernels and in the future, they'll become even more behind. Example:

When Linux was at 2.6.10 they had 2.4. When Linux was at 3.8, they just implemented 2.6.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
        There are software projects which are clearly meaningful and benefit a lot of people and there are ones that just waste developer resources. This particular project is a complete waste of resources for two sets of problems.

1. BSD nutcases are hostile to anything created by Lennard due to childish reasons. They always talk down on pulse-audio and ALSA claiming that their own out of date OSS is better (my ass). And also personal attacks on Lennard himself. FreeBSD nuts are going to be impossible to work with due to this and they would try making it as hard as possible to get the job done (like every outer project involving BSD) and then once it's done, they quickly and quietly incorporate them into their tree without much gratitude.

2. Sound, together with graphics are almost never used at all on FreeBSD. Only some network applications that's it. Evenly the BSD devs/scriptkiddies use Mac OSX while trolling at Linux.

You'll be sleeping forever cause FreeBSD will never get decent Linux compatibility. Their Linux-compatility layer is always one major version behind the current stock kernels and in the future, they'll become even more behind. Example:

When Linux was at 2.6.10 they had 2.4. When Linux was at 3.8, they just implemented 2.6.
        I use PC-BSD and I use graphics and sound. So much for your 'all server' trollish idea
        He was talking about Pulseaudio's Linux compatibility you idiot, it was a joke, and only idiots don't get jokes

Comment

All they did was change a few lines for greater BSD portability. If it was a waste of time, it was a miniscule amount of dev time.

BSD nutcases are hostile to anything created by Lennard due to childish reasons. They always talk down on pulse-audio and ALSA claiming that their own out of date OSS is better (my ass). And also personal attacks on Lennard himself. FreeBSD nuts are going to be impossible to work with due to this and they would try making it as hard as possible to get the job done (like every outer project involving BSD) and then once it's done, they quickly and quietly incorporate them into their tree without much gratitude.
          There's a difference between making sure Pulseaudio runs on BSD and actively trying to get BSD users to use Pulseaudio. I see no indication of the latter here...

Comment

If the BSD people shun anything that comes from Lennart Poettering then that makes them a smart bunch. The only nutcases I see are the ones who suck up anything Lennart the Liar spits out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              If the BSD people shun anything that comes from Lennart Poettering then that makes them a smart bunch. The only nutcases I see are the ones who suck up anything Lennart the Liar spits out.
              I love how virtually the entire active Linux community is made of "nutcases". Then when these "smart" guys do a blog post about say systemd it's, almost without an exception, abundantly clear they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. This together with the fact that the anti-Lennart/systemd circlejerk is know for only badmouthing developers and projects and not really developing anything themselves, ever, makes you guys look like a punch of pathentic idiots. Oh, well, it's not as if anyone of importance takes you guys seriously anyway.

Comment

I have no particular concern for PulseAudio, and not really for ALSA either. I'm confused as to exactly how FreeBSD's OSS-derived sound system is out of date. Would you care to tell us how it is out of date and in what fields it suffers as a result thereof?

With regards to personal attacks on Lennart. Well, this is Lennart Poettering we're talking about. He brought it on himself with his outrageous viewpoints, hatred of BSD, and his penchant for rewriting perfectly functional software. I'm also not sure when BSD incorporate other work into their tree that they have complained about. It doesn't happen much-- if someone complains about software, generally they don't want it.

With regards to 2. Do they? FreeBSD is widely used on all systems from the most powerful servers to the weakest embedded systems, as well as on the desktop (much like Linux). Some FreeBSD developers have day-jobs at Apple which is why some use Apple OS X, but most of them, as far as I know, use FreeBSD as their main system.

The FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer is a bit outdated. Correct. Obviously when all changes need to be reimplemented for the compat-layer, it'll lag behind the upstream Linux kernel. But it works well enough for Flash player, Acrobat Reader, and so forth-- so it's fit for purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                  With regards to personal attacks on Lennart. Well, this is Lennart Poettering we're talking about. He brought it on himself with his outrageous viewpoints, hatred of BSD, and his penchant for rewriting perfectly functional software.
                  Where has Lennart shown any hatred for BSDs? Also I'm pretty sure most people disagree with the notion of the projects he has replaced as being "perfectly functional" considering how much adoption they have had. Anyhow how any of these justify the verbal abuse is beyond me; then again I wouldn't be suprised if there was a direct correlation between low IQ and lack of empathy.

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                  FreeBSD is widely used on all systems from the most powerful servers to the weakest embedded systems, as well as on the desktop (much like Linux).
                  I know it has some adoption (especially on the stroage and enterprise networking hardware) but I would like to see some sources for it being widely adopted. It hardly even registers on any of the embedded/server/desktop marketshare statistics I have come across. Embedded and server hardware vendors don't advertize support for FreeBSDs and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    Where has Lennart shown any hatred for BSDs? Also I'm pretty sure most people disagree with the notion of the projects he has replaced as being "perfectly functional" considering how much adoption they have had. Anyhow how any of these justify the verbal abuse is beyond me; then again I wouldn't be suprised if there was a direct correlation between low IQ and lack of empathy.
                    Here is Mister Poettering dismissing and insulting the BSDs, and making a mockery of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
                    Your description of the talk of Poettering as 'verbal abuse' is not particularly apt. Most of it is entirely jovial. As regards your comment on IQ, I haven't seen any studies about it. The implicit assertion that BSD users are of low IQ, by the way, is laughable.
                    Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    I know it has some adoption (especially on the stroage and enterprise networking hardware) but I would like to see some sources for it being widely adopted. It hardly even registers on any of the embedded/server/desktop marketshare statistics I have come across. Embedded and server hardware vendors don't advertize support for FreeBSDs and so on.
                    Here is a list of just a few.

Comment

Working...
                    X