Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Releases New SteamOS Beta With Updated Drivers

Phoronix: Valve Releases New SteamOS Beta With Updated Drivers

Just one week after doing the first public beta release of SteamOS, Valve Software has released the second beta public ISO image. This new release has various package updates and fixes, including graphics driver work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to hear they are working on the AMD driver also. The performance vs Windows in DOTA 2 is horrendous on my 7660D

Comment

AMD driver issues. What a surprise.

Comment

and what about the kernel configuration?

Phoronix tests showed the actual Steam OS kernel configuration was slower than the Ubuntu one

As Phoronix benchmarked, real time is not the issue here because it does not affect the actual game tests

So I suposse there are other flags that should be changed or copied from Ubuntu - or other better kernels not tested here - Manjaro, Arch and one Arch alternative I did read about would be good to be tested here.

In fact, a Ubuntu based 6 months cycle benchmark with Debian, Fedora, SUSE,Arch,Manjaro, Gentoo,Sabayon, and Slackware,with more or less the same version of the kernel would be a great benchmark even more if some alternative trend kernels and real time ones are added to the mix

Comment

Bah-Humbug

To be honest, is there really any point to SteamOS over any Linux distro with Steam anymore?. I really can't see one unless you are buying a pre-built Steam Box which I seriously doubt many will do considering the price and minimal entertainment value. We Linux users get so much news about new things coming that turn out to be over-hyped bologna. You get more from your Linux distro with Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            To be honest, is there really any point to SteamOS over any Linux distro with Steam anymore?. I really can't see one unless you are buying a pre-built Steam Box which I seriously doubt many will do considering the price and minimal entertainment value. We Linux users get so much news about new things coming that turn out to be over-hyped bologna. You get more from your Linux distro with Steam.
            SteamOS was never intended to replace your Windows Desktop or your Linux Desktop. SteamOSs intention is to get a larger Linux install base by having something that you can ship on hardware and provides are good target platform for developers.

Comment

I think it's just your own mind that is overhyping everything. SteamOS is what it is and was always stated to be: a custom Linux OS that boots into Steam Big Picture Mode that ships with a custom kernel optimized for realtime latency which is ideal for gaming. I have no idea what else it could be. It's SteamOS after all, much like XBMCbuntu.

Comment

Hi,
                can anyone please tell me why graphics cards ship with audio (chips)?

I mean any MB has built in audio (surround 5.1+)..
                A link to an article on this would be great.

Comment

and if you checked out what SteamOS is from the start... was there ever?

i was downright sad when i learned it ships with desktop included. seeing how it is implemented, calmed me down completely. i can still easily reproduce console feeling with SteamOS (and never, ever see desktop) and that was the only thing i ever expected from it. no need for next-Gen console and their overpriced games=win in my book

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Hi,
                    can anyone please tell me why graphics cards ship with audio (chips)?

I mean any MB has built in audio (surround 5.1+)..
                    A link to an article on this would be great.
                    Because it's the easiest way to get audio *and* video through an HDMI/DisplayPort cable

Comment

Working...
                    X