Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix
    LLVM 3.4 is a very righteous release
    There's nothing righteous about a permissively licensed software which blatantly encourages creation of proprietary software from public domain software.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
      There's nothing righteous about a permissively licensed software which blatantly encourages creation of proprietary software from public domain software.
      LLVM is MIT/BSD and unlike the "GPL" actually gives you freedom instead of taking your freedom away.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
        LLVM is MIT/BSD and unlike the "GPL" actually gives you freedom instead of taking your freedom away.
        Yeah, Freedom to remove other people's freedoms and abuse them. People like you must have campaigned to legalize slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
          I'm sorry but I think you were dropped on your head before many times.
          If you wan't to turn this discussion into a situation were we go back and forth insulting each other, I'm not interested.

GPL takes away the freedom to take away other peoples freedoms and abuse them. It prevents modern day slavery and serfdom to proprietary corporations in the IT industry which is something seen regularly with the BSDs done by Apple and M$.
          The only argument with your statement that I can offer is that my definition of Freedom is comparable to that of Free Speech, I may not like everything that people say
          but I wouldn't restrict there freedom to protect them from saying it or others from hearing it. With true freedom there is positives and negatives.

I have no doubt that Apple and M$ take and use BSD code, but does that really matter? Look at what Android has done to there profits and market-share. Granted I don't particularly like to be associated with Android per my prejudice against "Java",but I will take Androids success as a win for the good guys.

Lastly don't let your self become so filled with the hatred for all things "proprietary" that you inadvertently become what you tryed so hard not to become a "slave".

LLVM is one of the latest attempts to enthrall more people from the GNU and Linux side. Their goal is tricking Linux people into making improvements to LLVM and then Apple takes it and makes proprietary software from it.

Thank RMS for GCC.
          LLVM isn't an Apple project its sponsored by Apple and many many others. Their not tricking anyone into doing anything. It's simple a difference of opinion, in regards to what true software freedom is. Kde, Qt, Gnome, Nvidia, Mesa, .... all have a stake in LLVM.

GCC served its purpose, but LLVM is what's going to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
            Yeah, Freedom to remove other people's freedoms and abuse them. People like you must have campaigned to legalize slavery.
            Ummmm at that time you didn't have to convince anyone to legalize slavery as it was never illegal to begin with, every country on this planet at one time or another had slaves. Did you know that there were also White slaves in the US at one point?

Comment

If you wan't to turn this discussion into a situation were we go back and forth insulting each other, I'm not interested.

The only argument with your statement that I can offer is that my definition of Freedom is comparable to that of Free Speech, I may not like everything that people say
              but I wouldn't restrict there freedom to protect them from saying it or others from hearing it. With true freedom there is positives and negatives.

I have no doubt that Apple and M$ take and use BSD code, but does that really matter? Look at what Android has done to there profits and market-share. Granted I don't particularly like to be associated with Android per my prejudice against "Java",but I will take Androids success as a win for the good guys.

Lastly don't let your self become so filled with the hatred for all things "proprietary" that you inadvertently become what you tryed so hard not to become a "slave".

LLVM isn't an Apple project its sponsored by Apple and many many others. Their not tricking anyone into doing anything. It's simple a difference of opinion, in regards to what true software freedom is. Kde, Qt, Gnome, Nvidia, Mesa, .... all have a stake in LLVM.

GCC served its purpose, but LLVM is what's going to replace it.
              To be clear, the vast direction and financial sponsorship for LLVM is from Apple, followed by Google, with Targets sponsorships for platforms by many hands in the pot from SONY, ARM, ImgTec [MIPS], Nvidia, AMD, etc.

Clang, LLDB, Compiler-RT, Libc++ all were heavy lifted by Apple and continue to be so, with the usual support from all the individuals and backed corporate presence for each and every architect.

FreeBSD folks are quite well represented and ecstatic that this project is evolving as it continues to do so.

GCC is the relic.

Comment

See my post above in regards to righteous, and your wrong on both accounts a compiler does nether. But in the US both "Good and Well" are appropriate in this context.

My father is in "Good" health.
                My father is doing "Well"

The Compiler is in "Good" health.
                The compiler is doing "Well"

In the US both "Good" and "Well" are not normally mutually exclusive.
                I live in the US, and that is definitely wrong. I'm not enough of a grammar nazi to know what the correct terminology for those kinds of phrases are, but notice how you are using them very differently in your examples. "in good health" vs "doing well". One is an adverb modifying health, while the other is not. Michael used it the wrong way. Your examples are the correct way.

Also, righteous might be a slang term for being good, but it's the kind of slang you'd see in blaxploitation movies from the '80s. Not anything anyone would have ever heard in real life these days. It's so disconnected from common speech that it didn't even connect at first, until i read your post. It means virtuous today - but more like, a warrior who is righteous. It's often associated with anger, or intense emotions at least, and has a very strong moral connotation.

My mistake that Michael isn't a native english speaker. That actually explains a lot. I'd wondered that a few times in the past, but i knew he lived in the US so i just assumed he was a native speaker.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 23 December 2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X