Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu GNOME Will Still Run On X.Org For A While

Phoronix: Ubuntu GNOME Will Still Run On X.Org For A While

The Ubuntu GNOME distribution has committed to shipping an X.Org Server based environment for at least Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and most likely for Ubuntu 14.10 as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The post concluded with, "At some point in the distant future we will probably switch to Wayland, but right now its not even close to being ready."
    I may be wrong, but isn't Wayland completely usable right now? Shouldn't this say "Gnome is not even close to being able to run on Wayland" (which it is..) instead of blaming Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      I may be wrong, but isn't Wayland completely usable right now? Shouldn't this say "Gnome is not even close to being able to run on Wayland" (which it is..) instead of blaming Wayland?
      "Not completely usable" yet but getting much closer than the post says but that is to be expected here. I do think they can continue using Xorg compatibility mode. The problem will be QA.

Comment

I think by "it's not ready" he means Gnome.

Comment

Not really news. I didn't see any ditro switching to Wayland or Mir this cycle. Thier not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Not really news. I didn't see any ditro switching to Wayland or Mir this cycle. Thier not ready.
            Isn't Gnome-Wayland going to be the default DE for Fedora 21?
            I don't see why the Ubuntu-Gnome team wouldn't switch by 14.10.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              SailfishOS uses Wayland exclusively.

Comment

I think you are taking this out of context, it was posted on the ubuntu-gnome mailing list and social media, so clearly we are talking about the gnome-wayland stack as a whole. The context really was, "oh no here comes MIR, ubuntu GNOME is dead" type questions..

From my point of view (as Technical lead of Ubuntu GNOME) for us to switch to a gnome-wayland stack as default, we would want

- proprietry GPU blob support ( Fedora probably dont care about this so much)
                - A full cycle of testing and stabilisation where wayland is available as an optional tech preview
                - Supported upstream in debian to some extent.

So realistically for 14.10 you will probably find wayland support along with GNOME 3.12. If things go well, perhaps 15.04 could be switched by default.

Comment

Working...
                X