Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

    Phoronix: PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

    Lennart Poettering's former project of focus, PulseAudio, now supports the journal of his increasingly-used systemd system management daemon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0ODY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,187

    Default

    PulseAudio hasn't put a hard requirement on systemd but can be used in parallel with traditional syslog daemons.
    Woah? Be still my beating heart, has he finally changed?

    commit is not by Lennart
    Oh.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Woah? Be still my beating heart, has he finally changed?
    FWIW, systemd allows you to keep the journal as non persistent (ie) nothing will be saved to disk and you can run a traditional syslog daemon in parallel. So not that different from PulseAudio here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    FWIW, systemd allows you to keep the journal as non persistent (ie) nothing will be saved to disk and you can run a traditional syslog daemon in parallel. So not that different from PulseAudio here.
    Last I recall, you're right. As far as I know, journal checks for the existence of /var/log/journal and if it exists saves there (to disk), if it doesn't it gets dumped to /tmp/log/journal (which is usually a RAMDisk)

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Last I recall, you're right. As far as I know, journal checks for the existence of /var/log/journal and if it exists saves there (to disk), if it doesn't it gets dumped to /tmp/log/journal (which is usually a RAMDisk)
    Not tmp. /run/journal. In Fedora, both /run and /tmp using tmpfs but on other systems only /run uses tmpfs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Woah? Be still my beating heart, has he finally changed?
    Have you tried systemd in any of your systems??

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    499

    Default

    [joke]

    Lennart" Yes YES! Absorb the audio frame work! Absorb all the linux components! Systemd doesn't run on linux, linux runs on systemd! Mwhahahahha!"

    [/joke]

    PS: don't take this seriously.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Not tmp. /run/journal. In Fedora, both /run and /tmp using tmpfs but on other systems only /run uses tmpfs.
    Whoops! Thanks for the catch Rahul, sometimes I forget about things moving to /run haha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Although the code is quite minimal, I don't like inter mixed implementations through ifdefs. The proper way would be to have separate implementations of an abstract interface. Just sayin..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    Although the code is quite minimal, I don't like inter mixed implementations through ifdefs. The proper way would be to have separate implementations of an abstract interface. Just sayin..
    Either is fine depending on whether the implementations have a comparable feature set. Abstractions are not always the right answer. Especially in this case, I would say it would be an overkill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •