Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

Default PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

Phoronix: PulseAudio Now Supports The Systemd Journal

Lennart Poettering's former project of focus, PulseAudio, now supports the journal of his increasingly-used systemd system management daemon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0ODY

PulseAudio hasn't put a hard requirement on systemd but can be used in parallel with traditional syslog daemons.
    Woah? Be still my beating heart, has he finally changed?

commit is not by Lennart
    Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    FWIW, systemd allows you to keep the journal as non persistent (ie) nothing will be saved to disk and you can run a traditional syslog daemon in parallel. So not that different from PulseAudio here.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    FWIW, systemd allows you to keep the journal as non persistent (ie) nothing will be saved to disk and you can run a traditional syslog daemon in parallel. So not that different from PulseAudio here.
    Last I recall, you're right. As far as I know, journal checks for the existence of /var/log/journal and if it exists saves there (to disk), if it doesn't it gets dumped to /tmp/log/journal (which is usually a RAMDisk)

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Last I recall, you're right. As far as I know, journal checks for the existence of /var/log/journal and if it exists saves there (to disk), if it doesn't it gets dumped to /tmp/log/journal (which is usually a RAMDisk)
    Not tmp. /run/journal. In Fedora, both /run and /tmp using tmpfs but on other systems only /run uses tmpfs.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Have you tried systemd in any of your systems??

[joke]

Lennart" Yes YES! Absorb the audio frame work! Absorb all the linux components! Systemd doesn't run on linux, linux runs on systemd! Mwhahahahha!"

[/joke]

PS: don't take this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Not tmp. /run/journal. In Fedora, both /run and /tmp using tmpfs but on other systems only /run uses tmpfs.
    Whoops! Thanks for the catch Rahul, sometimes I forget about things moving to /run haha

Although the code is quite minimal, I don't like inter mixed implementations through ifdefs. The proper way would be to have separate implementations of an abstract interface. Just sayin..

Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    Although the code is quite minimal, I don't like inter mixed implementations through ifdefs. The proper way would be to have separate implementations of an abstract interface. Just sayin..
    Either is fine depending on whether the implementations have a comparable feature set. Abstractions are not always the right answer. Especially in this case, I would say it would be an overkill.