No announcement yet.

Radeon DPM Is Now Working Well For New AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On archlinux with latest stable stuff,and an HD6950 open source driver works really bad.

When doing nothing i always have a cpu core running at 25% while it's 2% max with catalyst,half life 2 is unplayable a lot of lag and the same sound play 10 times,with l4d2 i got a black screen and memory leak.

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong,or it is because i don't have the newest stuff,but it's work really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by s3rg3 View Post
      On archlinux with latest stable stuff,and an HD6950 open source driver works really bad.

When doing nothing i always have a cpu core running at 25% while it's 2% max with catalyst,half life 2 is unplayable a lot of lag and the same sound play 10 times,with l4d2 i got a black screen and memory leak.

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong,or it is because i don't have the newest stuff,but it's work really bad.
      First make sure that you are actually using the open source driver.

Most of the time people complain about things being incredibly slow, they find out that they were running unaccelerated graphics. If you're not getting at least 50% of Catalyst's performance (though it's more in most cases), then the drivers are likely not initialising correctly.

Comment

i'm sure it was not on vesa.

DPM work bad,last time i tried it ,games didn't crash if it was disabled but they were slower without.

Comment

I don't understand. Why are people talking about some mysterious Radeon HD 8000 series? I thought after radeon 7000 series, the successors are radeon 200's... And what are Sea Islands? I thought it's Volcanic Islands. Can somebody clear my knowledge up?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
            I don't understand. Why are people talking about some mysterious Radeon HD 8000 series? I thought after radeon 7000 series, the successors are radeon 200's... And what are Sea Islands? I thought it's Volcanic Islands. Can somebody clear my knowledge up?
            You missed a step is all;

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              8000 is 7000 with different name and only available to oems.
              just this, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by s3rg3 View Post

I heavily suggest trying out the mesa-git repo. I use it as well and it is frickin' sweet. Also, add the kernel parameter to your boot options as explained here and in the arch wiki.

Thanks to everybody else for the clarifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
                  I heavily suggest trying out the mesa-git repo. I use it as well and it is frickin' sweet. Also, add the kernel parameter to your boot options as explained here and in the arch wiki.
                  Also make sure that you're not missing firmware, and check dmesg for any strange DRM-related errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
                    Does this mean the 7000 and 8000 series of AMD cards can be used with the radeon driver for stuff like compositing for your window manager with 3.14? I am considering building a new PC and would like to use AMD graphics with the FOSS drivers.
                    I've been using a 7850 with Gnome3 (Mint previously, now Manjaro), and the OSS drivers are doing fine for me. Desktop compositing is flawless, and the little gaming I've been doing is acceptable (Eve in Wine, mostly).

To the poster who's having performance issues, I'd definitely check dmesg, and also run glxinfo to see what GL version and drivers are reported. Also, if you're running games, are you running a 64-bit game or 32-bit. Make sure you have the 32-bit OSS drivers and all of their dependencies installed as well (lib32 mesa packages). When I first installed Steam, I had slideshows, and it was because 32-bit games were using software rendering.

Comment

I've been using a 7850 with Gnome3 (Mint previously, now Manjaro), and the OSS drivers are doing fine for me. Desktop compositing is flawless, and the little gaming I've been doing is acceptable (Eve in Wine, mostly).
                      Don't you experience a little lag working with gnome shell, especially when dragging windows previews? I have these lags and it's super annoying. I've tried forcing high performance levels on my card but it was no use.

Comment

Working...
                      X