AMD Catalyst 13.12 GPU Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Thanks for the info about new branch and all !
    I was expecting something like that and precisely for reasons mentioned by you: "Valve Pressure" (pun intended )
    You wrote 14.1 will be a new branch. Did they not change branches couple times within a year? I do not expect too much extra development.

Comment

Statement from Valve:

Originally posted by Valve
      Note for AMD users:

There are outstanding interaction problems between recent Catalyst drivers and SteamOS; AMD is aware of the issues and investigating. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this resolved soon.
      In other words, Valve knows the current driver still sucks, however now with SteamOS, AMD is under pressure to sort this mess out.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        In other words, Valve knows the current driver still sucks, however now with SteamOS, AMD is under pressure to sort this mess out.
        Based on the evidence we've seen so far, it doesn't seem like it's a lot of pressure.

Maybe the open community can get in there and create a suitable driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
          You are supposed to do some of your own research first since if you don't know, you probably shouldn't go there ;-P

Anyway:
          1. ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract NewDirectory
          2. Apply the patch as described by Vi0L0 in the previous post
          3. sudo ./ati-installer.sh 13.251 --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
          4. And install the build packages, placed one directory up
          hmm, i was tried but i'm getting an error, or maybe i'm doing it wrong ?
          1. ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract catalyst
            Code:
            $ [B]patch -Np1 -i ./looks_like_amd_forgot_this.patch[/B]
            can't find file to patch at input line 3
            Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
            The text leading up to this was:
            --------------------------
            |--- 13.12/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c	2013-12-17 20:05:35.000000000 +0100
            |+++ 13.12/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c	2013-12-19 18:40:18.386568588 +0100
            File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh
            patching file /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh
            Hunk #1 FAILED at 995.
            1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh.rej

honestly, i'm confused which files should be selected, File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh or File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
            You are supposed to do some of your own research first since if you don't know, you probably shouldn't go there ;-P

Anyway:
            1. ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract NewDirectory
            3. sudo ./ati-installer.sh 13.251 --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
            4. And install the build packages, placed one directory up
            hmm, i was tried but i'm getting an error, or maybe i'm doing it wrong ?
            1. ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract catalyst
              Code:
              $ [B]patch -Np1 -i ./looks_like_amd_forgot_this.patch[/B]
              can't find file to patch at input line 3
              Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
              The text leading up to this was:
              |--- 13.12/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c	2013-12-17 20:05:35.000000000 +0100
              |+++ 13.12/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c	2013-12-19 18:40:18.386568588 +0100
              File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh
              patching file /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh
              Hunk #1 FAILED at 995.
              1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh.rej

honestly, i'm confused which files should be selected, File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/ati-installer.sh or File to patch: /home/bii/downloads/amd/catalyst/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c

Comment

installs with patch,however still no luck with modern CPU+GPU hybird

this could be hw specific issue with Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC/3567, BIOS F.6A 05/13/2013
              / AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
              <3>[fglrx:hal_read_VBIOS] *ERROR* Invalid AMD VBIOS at bus 1!
              RIP msg in irqmgr_wrap_disable_userspace_interrupts+0x50/0x270 [fglrx]
              and
              <6>[fglrx] release failed with code -EBUSY

Comment

oops sorry, double post

hmm, i've patched the file already (i choose a wrong file at previous post). But now i've new problem when i run the command:
                Code:
                $ sudo ./ati-installer.sh 13.251 --buildpkg Debian/stable
                i getting an error
                Code:
                =====================================================================
                 AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager 
                =====================================================================
                Generating package: Debian/stable
                cp: cannot stat `/home/bii/downloads/NewCatalyst/x710/*': No such file or directory
                Package build failed!
                Package build utility output:
                dpkg-buildpackage: source package fglrx-installer
                dpkg-buildpackage: source version 13.251-1
                dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by AMD: Advanced Micro Devices. <http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html>
                 dpkg-source --before-build fglrx.NOKiji
                dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
                 debian/rules build
                dh_testdir
                make: dh_testdir: Command not found
                make: *** [build] Error 127
                dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
                any suggestions guys?

Comment

13.12 version is probably the worst version I tried in years, at least on Ubuntu 64bit. Everything works fine after the restart, but after a while, videos don't play anymore (not in vlc, nor in mplayer; xv isn't diplaying anything, x11 works, gl crashes), steam client crashes at startup 8 out of 10 times, and when it starts, it's just flickering garbage in its window. Basically, any game just crashes within fglrx_dri.so Since I have a 7950 card, open source drivers aren't the best solution, but a few more days of this, and I'll try to use them on a regular basis. Absoulte garbage (literary!)...

Comment

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
                    13.12 version is probably the worst version I tried in years, at least on Ubuntu 64bit. Everything works fine after the restart, but after a while, videos don't play anymore (not in vlc, nor in mplayer; xv isn't diplaying anything, x11 works, gl crashes), steam client crashes at startup 8 out of 10 times, and when it starts, it's just flickering garbage in its window. Basically, any game just crashes within fglrx_dri.so Since I have a 7950 card, open source drivers aren't the best solution, but a few more days of this, and I'll try to use them on a regular basis. Absoulte garbage (literary!)...
                    Why do never get issues like this? I rarely experience inconsistent crashes in anything I do, and have been running on fglrx for over a year after my previous machine had a Nvidia card. I actually experience LESS crashes with fglrx than Nvidia. My notebook has been up 5 days now, in that 5 days I have been using KDE, VLC, Steam (playing metro and psychonauts), multiple suspend & hibernation cycles, and I have experienced nothing distracting.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                      Why do never get issues like this? I rarely experience inconsistent crashes in anything I do, and have been running on fglrx for over a year after my previous machine had a Nvidia card. I actually experience LESS crashes with fglrx than Nvidia. My notebook has been up 5 days now, in that 5 days I have been using KDE, VLC, Steam (playing metro and psychonauts), multiple suspend & hibernation cycles, and I have experienced nothing distracting.
                      Because you are very lucky or you are an alien XD

Comment

Working...
                      X