No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.12 GPU Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone install the new driver so far?

Comment

Originally posted by LN17 View Post
      Can anyone install the new driver so far?
      Read the thread? That's what its there for. You would have had you answer already if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        This sounds an awful lot like what AMD supporters say about their WINE support, and somehow that's always considered AMD's fault.
        Except in this case we know *exactly* where and what the bug is. Flash sets the U/V planes (the parts of the video that contain color information) in wrong order. No "if"s or "but"s about it. It has nothing to do with browsers, it has nothing to do with graphics drivers, be it open source or proprietary. It's all in flash.

The situation with WINE is a lot less clear. Is the bug in WINE, in AMD's proprietary driver, or both? Probably each of these, if you go on a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          Except in this case we know *exactly* where and what the bug is. Flash sets the U/V planes (the parts of the video that contain color information) in wrong order. No "if"s or "but"s about it. It has nothing to do with browsers, it has nothing to do with graphics drivers, be it open source or proprietary. It's all in flash.

The situation with WINE is a lot less clear. Is the bug in WINE, in AMD's proprietary driver, or both? Probably each of these, if you go on a case by case basis.
          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          This sounds an awful lot like what AMD supporters say about their WINE support, and somehow that's always considered AMD's fault.
          This situation have some years ATI/AMD need more attention on linux especially on wine (Opesource driver give compatibility but with low performance and Privative driver give performance but losing performance), NVIDIA (Privative driver) is much better for now especially on wine (performance and compatibility)

Comment

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and I installed the new driver with these instruktions:

I am planning on doing a fresh install of Ubuntu and want to know what is the correct way to install ATI Catalyst Video Driver? There are multiple valid answers for this question spanning over s...

And I had no problems at all with the installation and didn't need no patch to make it work.

I noticed a big differance in performance on dota2....but that said, I had to admit that I only install stable drivers, so haven't used any beta drivers.

Comment

For anyone interested in pre-compiled drivers for Ubuntu: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...dates/?C=M;O=D

Just grab the 3 ( fglrx-updates, fglrx-amdcccle-updates, fglrx-updates-dev) pretaining to your arch (x86 or x64), install them, do the initilization step to generate a xorg conf, reboot, win. Works fine (from what I can tell) on Xubuntu 13.10 on my 7850.

You may need other packages installed, but if dpkg mentions any, just install them.

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
                You are supposed to do some of your own research first since if you don't know, you probably shouldn't go there ;-P

Anyway:
                1. ./amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract NewDirectory
                2. Apply the patch as described by Vi0L0 in the previous post
                3. sudo ./ati-installer.sh 13.251 --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
                4. And install the build packages, placed one directory up
                Cheers! Thanks for the instructions. Mine appeared to build/install properly but compositing (kwin) was broken when restarting and amdcccle would segmentation fault. (This is on Kubuntu 13.10.) All is good now. Testing out some games like Dota 2 to see if it makes any difference.

More importantly though, why has AMD put the drivers up like this on their stable release page? Horrendous.

Comment

No improvement in Dota 2 frames on my 7660D GPU (A10-5800K APU GPU). Sad. When will they sort out their horrid opengl/linux performance?

Comment

kolasa wrote up a patch also: https://github.com/kolasa/fglrx-13.251

Comment

More importantly though, why has AMD put the drivers up like this on their stable release page? Horrendous.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. I expected that like basic thing "installing the driver" is improved or at least works.

Comment

Working...
                      X