Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    We don't need EAX, though.
    Agreed before we get another Doom 3 / EAX fiasco.

Comment

About time they released a 32 bit driver. Although, I see it has been a few weeks now. I wonder if my X-FI card will sound any different that my on-board Intel HD?

Comment

So they still care of EAX? They are envy of Microsoft and their propietary de facto standards.

I think they must learn from other companies, they don't understand the Free Software way of doing things. Things like this makes me to not buy Creative Labs hardware at all and choose alternatives.

Comment

Yeah, EAX is pretty much useless with the existence of OpenAL, it can do everything on the software level EAX can. And with dual core and cpus out there on about half-75% of gaming rigs, there really is no point of EAX anymore. Its kind of the same argument as hardware accelerated physics.

Its best for the game industry and the open source community to have a open standard that everyone can use. EAX has always been a pain, because if you didn't have a Creative card, you were left out of some of the features of the game like all those cool echos and positioning we got in the original Unreal Tournament back in 1999.

With OpenAL though, you don't have to worry about it. Yeah you can argue that Creative has a hardware accelerated solution but again, any modern processor nowdays is more than enough for the task for the software level of things. Plus, OpenAL gives other sound card manufacturers the same opportunity of hardware acceleration if they chose to do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            OpenAL gives other sound card manufacturers the same opportunity of hardware acceleration if they chose to do it anyway.
            Yep, thus Creative need to go balls to the wall GPL (IMHO of course) the whole lot and beg for us to continue buying their overpriced tat.

Sound cards are no longer something the majority of people think or care about, onboard is good enough and continuing to improve all the time; Creative need to do *something* newsworthy or become a relic of times when people actually gave a damn about sound on the PC.

By 'something' I don't mean "sue random developer who cottoned on to your scummy tricks" although feel free to do that again, it was funny and caused a lot of people to strike Creative from their list of component suppliers.

Comment

Why buy one at all? If the support is so shoddy and it's a royal PITA to set up, why not just buy a used Audigy 2ZS? I bought one of these sound cards (Creative, ironically) for a computer that had crappy onboard sound that was giving me problems. That sound card solved my sound problems and gave great sound. I read that some people can hardly tell or can't tell the difference with the new Creative sound cards. I guess there are extra features but is it going to matter that much? My Audigy 2ZS works out of the box in any distro I tried and it gave me more equalizer settings compared to my onboard sound.

It might be difficult to find that particular card considering it's a previous generation but I think the challenge/trouble is worth it. You are not giving money to Creative as someone else did who originally bought the card. Isn't it better to give your money to a manufacturer who at least provides some half-decent support and seems to be making a genuine effort in developing/improving that support? Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Why buy one at all? If the support is so shoddy and it's a royal PITA to set up, why not just buy a used Audigy 2ZS? I bought one of these sound cards (Creative, ironically) for a computer that had crappy onboard sound that was giving me problems. That sound card solved my sound problems and gave great sound. I read that some people can hardly tell or can't tell the difference with the new Creative sound cards. I guess there are extra features but is it going to matter that much? My Audigy 2ZS works out of the box in any distro I tried and it gave me more equalizer settings compared to my onboard sound.

It might be difficult to find that particular card considering it's a previous generation but I think the challenge/trouble is worth it. You are not giving money to Creative as someone else did who originally bought the card. Isn't it better to give your money to a manufacturer who at least provides some half-decent support and seems to be making a genuine effort in developing/improving that support? Just a thought...
                Just by the way, I have always been curious about Audigy 2ZS support under ALSA.
                There's the emu10k1 driver, which works quite good for me. However, why is it called "emu" and what features does this driver actually give me compared to the official Windows driver?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                  Just by the way, I have always been curious about Audigy 2ZS support under ALSA.
                  There's the emu10k1 driver, which works quite good for me. However, why is it called "emu" and what features does this driver actually give me compared to the official Windows driver?
                  emu is referring to dsp name on the card. E-mu is the professional audio division of Creative.

Comment

Well, I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, the sound is great, but is still a lot better under Linux with ALSA than it is with the original Creative Windows drivers, even when playing games

But to be honest I consider buying the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Well, I've got an Audigy 2 ZS, the sound is great, but is still a lot better under Linux with ALSA than it is with the original Creative Windows drivers, even when playing games

But to be honest I consider buying the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1...

Really? I got the Value version of the card (which is basically the same) and it sounds better under Windows (XP) than in Linux with ALSA. I'm no audiophile, but it seems to have much better bass and "richer" sound with the Creative driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X