Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Optimus On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux vs. Windows 8.1

Phoronix: NVIDIA Optimus On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux vs. Windows 8.1

With having picked up an ASUS Zenbook Prime UX32VD recently that features Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M graphics, I decided to run some benchmarks seeing how the currently available Linux solutions for supporting NVIDIA's "Optimus" technology are comparing to Windows 8.1. The benchmarks in this article compare the performance of this Core i7 3517U ultrabook between its stock operating system to Ubuntu 13.10 with its stock open-source packages, to using DRI PRIME, and then lastly using the "Bumblebee" solution with the NVIDIA binary driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least from this test it looks like there is simply no point in even having an NVidia 620 video card in a laptop - the Intel GPU is almost as fast.

Comment

Just want to be clear. With bumblebee, did you use the optirun backend ("optirun /path/to/executable"), or the primus backend ("primusrun /path/to/executable") ? Primus offers much better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by aigarius View Post
        At least from this test it looks like there is simply no point in even having an NVidia 620 video card in a laptop - the Intel GPU is almost as fast.
        Looks like he used optirun instead of primusrun, which is a lot lot lot lot slower, as it uses VirtualGL which is built for a much different purpose. Check here
        Primus: Better Performance And Less Power Consumption For Bumblebee [Optimus Hybrid Graphics Chipsets] ~ Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comment

wtf is this bullshit? never heard of NVIDIA-PRIMUS package? works out of box, just install it.

Using Nvidia Graphics Drivers With Initial Optimus Support In Ubuntu 13.10 Got Easier With Nvidia-Prime ~ Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
            wtf is this bullshit? never heard of NVIDIA-PRIMUS package? works out of box, just install it.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/08/using...vers-with.html
            Are you an idiot? All that does it let you use the nvidia gpu. There's no proper switching between the 2 gpus like bumblebee has; which is the entire point of optimus.

Comment

Well, it has now switching support: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/more-...imus.html#more

This is for Trusty, but I've backported it to Saucy: https://launchpad.net/~joern-schoeny...prime-backport
              (There are also packages for Precise, but the blob is still missing and it's not tested yet)

I can switch easily - okay okay, I have to log out and in again. But that's totally fine for me. Michael, would you be so kind and benchmark this, too? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                Are you an idiot? All that does it let you use the nvidia gpu. There's no proper switching between the 2 gpus like bumblebee has; which is the entire point of optimus.
                Pretty much... ^^

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post

and more, the render with this package is horrible. only with mir or wayland we will see real optimus support (i dont believe in xorg)

Comment

except using bumblebee there are no other way to run an application on the gpu you want?

Comment

Working...
                    X