Ubuntu 14.04 Finally Enables SSD TRIM By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jockinator View Post
    adding discard options to ext4 on SSD is not a good idea.
    when removing a lot of small files (make clean ?), it can freeze a computer for 5-10min.
    it's the case on my laptop (quad-core with 6G RAM), and a better method is to add fstrim to a crontab.
    If you had read the Google+ post, you would know that they actually do this. The are aware of the fact that kernel managed trim has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      If you had read the Google+ post, you would know that they actually do this. The are aware of the fact that kernel managed trim has issues.
      oh you're right, the source https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...1-ssd-trimming said it is a cron job using fstrim, but the phoronix article is inaccurate :

Supporting TRIM requires setting the discard mount option for using TRIM when deleting files as it's not enabled by default

I observe freeze on my work PC, when I build a whole Android tree, and then delete the "out/" folder (~30GB, ), but that's a known issue. Most blog posts I've seen on TRIM on Linux, choose fstrim over discard mount option.

Comment

Originally posted by jockinator View Post
        adding discard options to ext4 on SSD is not a good idea.
        when removing a lot of small files (make clean ?), it can freeze a computer for 5-10min.
        it's the case on my laptop (quad-core with 6G RAM), and a better method is to add fstrim to a crontab.
        If I understand things correctly, this problem was addressed in Serial ATA revision 3.1 (released in July 2011) with the introduction of the Queued Trim Command. Support for the Queued Trim Command was introduced in the 3.12 kernel - see https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/3/277

Comment

Working...
        X