Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfi support under Linux updated! even 32 bits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfi support under Linux updated! even 32 bits!

"
    This download is intended for the following audio devices only:

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty?
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    * Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Current release features:

* ALSA PCM Playback
    * ALSA Record
    * ALSA Mixer

Added Features or Enhancements:

* Supports GCC version 4
    * Supports Linux 64-bit and 32-bit OS

Known issues:

* S/PDIF passthrough is not supported in this driver release.
    * External I/O modules are not supported in this driver release.
    * Applications from the original Sound Blaster X-Fi Installation CD will not work with this driver.
    "

Maybe I should return the Xonar D2 card when it arrives.

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
    Maybe I should return the Xonar D2 card when it arrives.
    I wouldn't, it's drivers at least work in all OS's, Creative has a hard enough time even releasing proper drivers for it's main target audience.

Comment

I could try the card up to a week before returning it, I'm not sure about what to do now, because Xtrememusic price is like half from Xonar D2 !

Comment

Yeah but the X-fi cards really don't sound that great unless you mod it. At least from a audiophile perspective. The Xonar D2 would be a better choice. The X-fi's are overrated and the only thing they had going for them was EAX but that won't really work under Linux plus we have OpenAL so who needs EAX. As far as sound, I would stay far far away from a proprietary driver especially when we're talking about Creative here, but that is my opinion.

By the way I think Phoronix should do a review of the Xonar D2 eventually in Linux. That would be a great review.
        Last edited by Malikith; 18 April 2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
          Yeah but the X-fi cards really don't sound that great unless you mod it. At least from a audiophile perspective. The Xonar D2 would be a better choice. The X-fi's are overrated and the only thing they had going for them was EAX but that won't really work under Linux plus we have OpenAL so who needs EAX. As far as sound, I would stay far far away from a proprietary driver especially when we're talking about Creative here, but that is my opinion.

By the way I think Phoronix should do a review of the Xonar D2 eventually in Linux. That would be a great review.
          hardware mixing is nice, and occasionally useful. creative cards are a handful of consumer level cards that still support such a feature. also you can get an elite pro + hs900 headset from newegg for under a hundred after promotions and rebates. and free samples from National is only a few clicks away for the LME48960 if you find the opamps on the elite pro to be offensive. so if you live in the US at least, and aren't against soldering on a new opamp, it's a much better choice than the D2, FOSS drivers aside. I mean it's a bit hypocritical to accept proprietary drivers from NVIDIA and ATI but not Creative. And let's not get started on ATI's track record until a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
            hardware mixing is nice, and occasionally useful. creative cards are a handful of consumer level cards that still support such a feature. also you can get an elite pro + hs900 headset from newegg for under a hundred after promotions and rebates. and free samples from National is only a few clicks away for the LME48960 if you find the opamps on the elite pro to be offensive. so if you live in the US at least, and aren't against soldering on a new opamp, it's a much better choice than the D2, FOSS drivers aside. I mean it's a bit hypocritical to accept proprietary drivers from NVIDIA and ATI but not Creative. And let's not get started on ATI's track record until a few years ago.
            But then the question is what does the hardware mixer have that a software mixer cant do? And what is the benefit of having a fixed hardware mixer when a software mixer can be updated continuously even on older hardware?

It is my opinion that a hardware mixer has no value at all.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              But then the question is what does the hardware mixer have that a software mixer cant do? And what is the benefit of having a fixed hardware mixer when a software mixer can be updated continuously even on older hardware?

It is my opinion that a hardware mixer has no value at all.
              latency latency and latency.

Comment

latency latency and latency.
                Hows latency an issue? Most sound cards have 96khz or better DACs I have never once heard a skip or a pop in at least the last 15 years...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Hows latency an issue? Most sound cards have 96khz or better DACs I have never once heard a skip or a pop in at least the last 15 years...
                  mixing latency is the issue, not the sampling rate. there's a reason a lynxtwo has a hardware mixer onboard, and I can give you a hint and say it's not for EAX.

Comment

mixing latency is the issue, not the sampling rate. there's a reason a lynxtwo has a hardware mixer onboard, and I can give you a hint and say it's not for EAX.
                    This may not be possible depending on your location, (I cant afford to travel) but heres an idea.

Alright so lets set up a listening test. You can take whatever sound card you want and whatever speakers you want, and I'll take whatever sound card I want and whatever speakers I want... Then we'll agree on a standard choice of audio we'll listen to both systems using the same selection and then decide which one sounds the best.

Anybody else who can make it can feel free to show up and chime in as well.

What do ya say?

Comment

Working...
                    X