Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Terror 4.2.016 Game Update Released

Phoronix: Urban Terror 4.2.016 Game Update Released

The latest update to Urban Terror 4.2 is now available and with this new update (v4.2.016) comes a few new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do people play these open source games anyway? I don't understand the point behind open source games. Open source games only make sense if they are used as a test case for a game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Do people play these open source games anyway? I don't understand the point behind open source games. Open source games only make sense if they are used as a test case for a game engine.

Yeah, some people like me do. Some even think they are fun and worth contributing to.

On the other hand: UrT isn't really free software: the game logic is proprietary and the art is also proprietary. Also, they're going to remake their game with a modified, proprietary Quake 3 engine.

Comment

A mate and I played for quite a bit, but the insanely quick round's and the local servers full of cheats and lifers kinda kills the 15-minute fix one might want from it. Add the fact this game was only halfway open-sourced and hadn't seen any updates until the recent two patches, and it was back to other things!
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          On the other hand: UrT isn't really free software: the game logic is proprietary and the art is also proprietary. Also, they're going to remake their game with a modified, proprietary Quake 3 engine.
          Pre-4.2 was ALL open source except for the QVM and the game assets (art, maps, etc.). "Game Logic" makes it sound like more than it is. There was a push in years past to get the QVM code released. That ended up in a bit of a debacle with the source allegedly getting "lost".

Then apparently they remade the QVM with 4.2 (IIRC). And now that code is released. I believe (correct me if I'm mistaken) that all the source needed to make and compile a client completely from source is available except maybe for some auth and A/C stuff.

UrT HD is definitely going completely closed source. This has caused a fair bit of backlash and quite a few of the independent devs to abandon the UrT game. In the end, they felt this was their best course of action.

There was a source code theft recently that caused them to rewrite a ton of stuff. Regardless of your preference for OSS, this is NOT a good way to protest.

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          A mate and I played for quite a bit, but the insanely quick round's and the local servers full of cheats and lifers kinda kills the 15-minute fix one might want from it. Add the fact this game was only halfway open-sourced and hadn't seen any updates until the recent two patches, and it was back to other things!
          UrT 4.2 has anti-cheat integrated now. Just set your game filter to only show servers utilizing game accounts and you'll be somewhat protected. I say somewhat because it's going to be an arms race where cheater makers try to build new cheats that aren't detected and at least so far they've banned cheaters on a delayed basis so as to confuse cheat makers and users as to whether their cheat is still good or not.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
            Pre-4.2 was ALL open source except for the QVM and the game assets (art, maps, etc.). "Game Logic" makes it sound like more than it is. There was a push in years past to get the QVM code released. That ended up in a bit of a debacle with the source allegedly getting "lost".

Then apparently they remade the QVM with 4.2 (IIRC). And now that code is released. I believe (correct me if I'm mistaken) that all the source needed to make and compile a client completely from source is available except maybe for some auth and A/C stuff.

UrT HD is definitely going completely closed source. This has caused a fair bit of backlash and quite a few of the independent devs to abandon the UrT game. In the end, they felt this was their best course of action.

There was a source code theft recently that caused them to rewrite a ton of stuff. Regardless of your preference for OSS, this is NOT a good way to protest.

UrT 4.2 has anti-cheat integrated now. Just set your game filter to only show servers utilizing game accounts and you'll be somewhat protected. I say somewhat because it's going to be an arms race where cheater makers try to build new cheats that aren't detected and at least so far they've banned cheaters on a delayed basis so as to confuse cheat makers and users as to whether their cheat is still good or not.
            Unfortunately for me, I got fat, stupidier and old. Playing FPS gets my heart a'flutterin'!
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Ugh,... I understand why you like closed source games. Its so nice to pay huge amount over kickstarter to get a few bonuses that justify the otherwise hyped sucking game, that works only on one platform, whose servers are full of cheaters, but luckily just for a few months as server support stopped and you can only play singleplayer, but unfortunately for just a few months as the startforce is not compatible with newer version of windows, but damn it you just stayed with that version on an outdated windows, regardless even if your own "server" was exploited through unpatched vulnerabilities many times a day. Still as a good opensource supporter you tried to write your own clone "as a test case for your game engine" but gave up after the company suited your for the trademark and being very similar to the closed source abadoned original. Did I miss something, bro?

Comment

Working...
              X