kernel modesetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kernel modesetting?

I have heard in recent times that development towards a kernel based modesetting scheme is being worked on... What is the benefit of doing that? Wouldnt it be better to let the driver handle modesetting? If the kernel is allowed to handle modesetting would that mean that dula monitors would be supported on virtual consoles? And does this have anything to do with a "flicker free" bootup, and what does that mean anyway?

Also how would the framebuffer be handled? How would the kernel pass control over to the driver?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just a little confused?

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I have heard in recent times that development towards a kernel based modesetting scheme is being worked on... What is the benefit of doing that? Wouldnt it be better to let the driver handle modesetting? If the kernel is allowed to handle modesetting would that mean that dula monitors would be supported on virtual consoles? And does this have anything to do with a "flicker free" bootup, and what does that mean anyway?

Also how would the framebuffer be handled? How would the kernel pass control over to the driver?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just a little confused?
    Take a look at:

Basicly it's yes to every of your questions. And explaining how framebuffer, i guess you mean linux framebuffer, is handled would need to go into a lot of technical details, so i should just say it will work but you shoud not use this API anymore.

Oh and kernel modesetting means that the driver in kernel, do the stuff. So i don't see what you are thinking about when you ask if it wouldn't be better to have the driver do it.

Comment

Yep. Kernel modesetting is mostly about moving modesetting code from the user mode X driver to the kernel mode DRM driver and starting it up earlier in the boot process (X starts pretty late) so that the same code can be used by all the different processes needing to write to the screen.

Right now there are a number of different drivers accessing the graphics hardware, and if they don't all use HW the same way" you can get some evil suspend/resume problems.
      Last edited by bridgman; 18 April 2008, 11:11 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Working...
      X