Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    DirectX vs OpenGL performance.

DirectX with games on windows usually perform better because the game engine usually (not always) has more optimizations for DirectX than openGL. If properly optimized, they will perform similarly (see valve's lfd port).

There are plenty of examples of unoptimized ports, I've personally dealt with NS2. In NS2 I can get 200fps with DirectX9, but with the OpenGL renderer I will only get 80-100 fps with several options turned down. I also get about 100fps with several options turned down with DirectX11 for the game. The reason is that these are new render modes for the game and they are currently both buggy and unoptimized, while the directX9 renderer has been continuously optimized over the last 4 years.

It is not the fault of the graphics drivers if the developer does a bad DirectX to OpenGL port.
    It's not about whose fault is it, it's about end user results. We need benchmarks that use the default graphics stack for a platform/game. If a game targets DirectX primarily and is optimized for it then it should be DirectX that is used for the benchmark, not the unoptimized code that targets OpenGL. End users don't care whether DirectX or OpenGL is used, they only care about end results.

Speaking of end user results, this guy made a quick comparison for Metro:LL between Windows and SteamOS and it seems it's performing pretty much equally on both platforms, which is great to see (scroll down to the last video):

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      It's not about whose fault is it, it's about end user results. We need benchmarks that use the default graphics stack for a platform/game. If a game targets DirectX primarily and is optimized for it then it should be DirectX that is used for the benchmark, not the unoptimized code that targets OpenGL. End users don't care whether DirectX or OpenGL is used, they only care about end results.
      I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I see these kind of reviews as more of a graphics driver progress report, to see if the underlying system has any performance problems.

Comment

This article is an utter disappointment. Openarena, Xonotic? Really?

And don't use the lame argument of "can't benchmark commercial games across OS" BS. In Team Fortress it's just a matter of having a demo and running timedemo demo in the game's console.

Comment

Originally posted by tangram View Post

And don't use the lame argument of "can't benchmark commercial games across OS" BS. In Team Fortress it's just a matter of having a demo and running timedemo demo in the game's console.
          Can that be initiated 'externally' in an automated fashion? Or does it require manually starting the game and entering it in, manually? I also drive manual cars.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by tangram View Post

... So why don't *you* do it and post the results?
            Alternatively, you could hire Michael to do the benches for you...

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

[QUOTE=phoronix;381160]Phoronix: SteamOS vs. Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Performance

For those NVIDIA gaming customers running Microsoft Windows 8.1 that have been thinking about giving Valve's SteamOS Linux-based gaming platform a try, here are some early benchmarks of the SteamOS 1.0 beta that compare the performance to Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on multiple NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Performance,i think is good.

Comment

[QUOTE=phor20;382656]
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: SteamOS vs. Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Performance

For those NVIDIA gaming customers running Microsoft Windows 8.1 that have been thinking about giving Valve's SteamOS Linux-based gaming platform a try, here are some early benchmarks of the SteamOS 1.0 beta that compare the performance to Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on multiple NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards.

Windows 8.1 NVIDIA Performance,i think is good.
                For curiosity I've benchmarked the performance between both OS's using a resolution of 2560x1440 8xMSAA, all settings maxed. Using a intel 4770k + GTX680 + 8GB rig.
                I've reached the following numbers:

Win8.1 - 235,82fps
                SteamOS - 153,65fps

I tried to apply the following Nvidia optimizations in launch options but the game refused to start. LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

To simulate similar conditions I runned Steam windows client with -steamos prefix and Big picture mode.

Comment

[QUOTE=narciso;382716]
                  Originally posted by phor20 View Post

For curiosity I've benchmarked the performance between both OS's using a resolution of 2560x1440 8xMSAA, all settings maxed. Using a intel 4770k + GTX680 + 8GB rig.
                  I've reached the following numbers:

Win8.1 - 235,82fps
                  SteamOS - 153,65fps

I tried to apply the following Nvidia optimizations in launch options but the game refused to start. LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1"__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

To simulate similar conditions I runned Steam windows client with -steamos prefix and Big picture mode.
                  ??
                  which game?
                  directX vs openGL or openGL vs openGL?

Comment

oops, forget to mention the game, it's Half Life Loast Coast. D3D on windows, OpenGL on SteamOS.

[QUOTE=tomtomme;383557]
                    Originally posted by narciso View Post

??
                    which game?
                    directX vs openGL or openGL vs openGL?

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
                      oops, forget to mention the game, it's Half Life Loast Coast. D3D on windows, OpenGL on SteamOS.
                      Given the fact that different code path is used on Windows and Linux, testing a single game doesn't say much about SteamOS (or Linux).
                      Never the less, I would imagine that D3D Windows only games that get converted to Linux will suffer from higher over-head that will most likely be far more noticeable as the FPS increases.
                      160fps vs. 240fps is far less relevant than 40fps vs. 60fps.

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X