Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.25 Kernel (Finally) Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.25 Kernel (Finally) Released

It's coming a bit late but Linus Torvalds had released the Linux 2.6.25 kernel late last night. The Linux 2.6.25 kernel introduces new EXT4 file-system improvements, ACPI thermal regulation, LatencyTOP kernel support, enhanced process memory usage management, and real-time group scheduling are among the major additions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, fglrx 8.4 doesn't seem to want to build on it. No surprise there though.

Comment

Finally. Will compile it after I get from Vegas this weekend. I don't expect fglrx to work, so I guess I will finally give radeonHD a try. Hopefully I can get the kernel to boot this time; so far the 2.6.24 kernel has been the only one to give me issues with my drivers and SATA controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Finally. Will compile it after I get from Vegas this weekend. I don't expect fglrx to work, so I guess I will finally give radeonHD a try. Hopefully I can get the kernel to boot this time; so far the 2.6.24 kernel has been the only one to give me issues with my drivers and SATA controller.
        Yeah I'm sure there will be a quick fix/patch for fglrx within a day or two at most for 2.6.25. I'm running 2.6.25 now with radeonhd and it runs fine. Good luck.

Comment

When is REISER4 going to be added to the mainstream kernel.

ONE IS TIRED OF THE IDIOTS EXCUSES FOR NOT ADDING REISER4 TO THE KERNEL.

ALL OF THEIR EXCUSES SUCK.

REISER4 HOWTOS.

Some Amazing Filesystem Benchmarks. Which Filesystem is Best?
          How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Compiling yourself a 2.6.23 Kernel (with Reiser4 support). (2.6.24 Kernel Patch)
          How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Installing your favorite Linux Distro on Reiser4.

Installing GRUB on a Reiser4 Partition.

Comment

*sigh*

I just can't figure this thing out. Something changed with 2.6.24. All the kernels I compile end up with the same error; something about not being able to retrieve devices and it points to my drives. The 2.6.22s and 2.6.23s work just fine on the same system. Either the new kernels have problems with the SATA controller on the SB600 (which I have yet to hear about) or it has issues with my physical drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              *sigh*

I just can't figure this thing out. Something changed with 2.6.24. All the kernels I compile end up with the same error; something about not being able to retrieve devices and it points to my drives. The 2.6.22s and 2.6.23s work just fine on the same system. Either the new kernels have problems with the SATA controller on the SB600 (which I have yet to hear about) or it has issues with my physical drives.
              Have a look at the netconsole-howto and post dmesgs and .configs!

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                Have a look at the netconsole-howto and post dmesgs and .configs!
                Will try doing that netconsole, as soon as I figure it out. Anyway, both 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 kernels do this; it gets stuck at this stage:
                Code:
                ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
                ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
                ... and just loops the same errors. Already tried fiddling with my SATA controller settings in BIOS from the default native IDE to AHCI to RAID, but to no avail. Trying to load Hardy produces the same errors as well. As I said, the 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 kernels work fine on this same system, and I have already tried compiling a full kernel with minimal configuration and compiling with my original .config from the Gutsy kernel.

Comment

Found this. Seems to be the same error as mine. The user said he managed to fix it with a BIOS upgrade, but for me that is not an option due to the horrible BIOS revisions ASUS keeps dishing out.

Comment

Just checking if comments are censored everywhere, or just on the Reiser threads.

Concerning the article: THE JEW HITLER.

at http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...?t=7544&page=3

You may be interested in this:

MI5 Rejected Hitler Suicide Mission.

Ben Macintyre January 09, 2007

A BRITISH secret agent who offered to blow up Adolf Hitler at the height of World War II was dissuaded from carrying out the assassination by MI5, according to newly released wartime archives.
                    The offer to kill Hitler in a suicide mission was made by Eddie Chapman, a professional criminal and safe-breaker who was trained by the Nazis as a spy and went on to become one of Britain's most successful double agents, codenamed Agent Zigzag.

Chapman was serving a sentence in Jersey prison for burglary when the Nazis invaded the Channel Islands in June 1940. He was recruited by the Abwehr, German military intelligence, and parachuted into Britain in December 1941. He immediately defected to MI5, the British security service.

Under interrogation by MI5, the 27-year-old Chapman said that he wanted to return to Germany as a double agent, and then kill the Fuhrer by exploding a bomb at a Nazi rally.

Files recently declassified by MI5 reveal an extraordinary conversation between Chapman and Ronnie Reed, his case officer. Reed pointed out that any attempt to kill Hitler would be suicidal: "Whether or not you succeeded, you would be liquidated immediately," he said.

"Ah, but what a way out," Chapman replied.

Chapman explained that his German spymaster, an Abwehr officer he knew only as "Dr Graumann", had promised to take him to a Nazi rally if he completed his mission in Britain successfully, and place him "in the first or second row", near Hitler's podium, if necessary by dressing him in the uniform of a senior German officer.

"He believes I am pro-Nazi," Chapman told Reed. "I believe Dr Graumann will keep his promise. Then I will assassinate Hitler ... with my knowledge of explosives and incendiary material, it should be possible."

Reed was convinced that Chapman's offer was serious, and reported back to his MI5 superiors: "He can think of no better way of leaving this life than to have his name prominently featured throughout the world's press, and to be immortalised in history books for all time." Reed believed Chapman was also motivated by an intense patriotism, and a desire to make amends for his criminal past.

The offer would certainly have been brought to the attention of Winston Churchill - the British prime minister took a personal interest in the Zigzag case and asked to kept informed of developments - but for reasons that have never been fully explained, the opportunity to kill Hitler was rejected.

Professor M.R.D. Foot, the distinguished historian of World War II, believes that the decision may have sprung from a number of factors, including a longstanding government policy against assassinating foreign heads of state, and mistrust of Chapman, a notorious jailbird.

"SOE (Special Operations Executive) hatched a plot to assassinate Hitler in 1944, but that, too, was rejected," Professor Foot said. "Partly because it was believed to be impossible to get an armed agent into Hitler's presence, and partly because it was thought that Hitler was more use alive than dead, since at that point his strategy was clearly so erratic."

Chapman did return to Germany as a double agent, but was expressly told "not to undertake any wild enterprises" by his British spymaster, Colonel Tommy "Tar" Robertson.

Chapman convinced the Germans that he had carried out his mission on British soil and was awarded the Iron Cross for his "outstanding zeal and success", becoming the only Briton to receive the medal. He was parachuted back into Britain in 1944, and took part in a successful deception operation to misdirect the V1 flying bombs.

MI5 has now released 1800 pages of documents from the Chapman case. The last of the Zigzag files, including information relating to Chapman's assassination plot, was transferred to the National Archives last month.

The new evidence suggests that the German spymaster "Dr Graumann", whose real name was Stephan von Gr?ning, may have been deliberately setting Chapman up as an assassin. Like many Abwehr officers, he was secretly a bitter opponent of Hitler. His offer to smuggle Chapman into a Nazi rally suggests he knew what Chapman had in mind, and that the two men may have been in league.

Chapman survived the war, feted by both sides, and received an unofficial pardon for his numerous prewar crimes. He died in 1997.

One factor in the decision not to use Chapman as an assassin may have been the horrific reprisals that followed the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, Hitler's potential successor, by British-trained Czech partisans in May 1942. But in the end, the idea may have been quashed because Chapman - "an associate of thieves" in the words of one MI5 officer - was simply not the sort of person to be deployed on such a mission. "There was a feeling in the British Establishment that you don't trust someone who has been in jug," Professor Foot said.
                    Last edited by Historian; 22 April 2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X