SteamOS vs. Ubuntu 13.10 - Intel HD Graphics Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by winnitro View Post
    The community expects that Steam OS makes Miracles, but he's just another distro.
    No, this is good news. We don't want Steam OS to be superiour to other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by winnitro View Post
      The community expects that Steam OS makes Miracles, but he's just another distro.
      Nobody is expecting a performance miracle, what they are expecting is that game devs now have to take Linux seriously as do gaming hardware companies instead of the total and complete lack of support we currently get from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Nobody is expecting a performance miracle, what they are expecting is that game devs now have to take Linux seriously as do gaming hardware companies instead of the total and complete lack of support we currently get from them.
        well, you are forgetting the "blue pill" part of the linux community. they were always worst enemy linux ever had, not even MS did as much damage to linux as they did.

but, gaming performance should never, ever be measured in fps. RT kernel for example is not really suited for desktop experience while it fits into gaming as charm as it slightly removes more fps=better game mantra, since rest of the gaming aspects (input...) are not conditioned to be fitted between frames as badly. also, every person uses more senses than just sight in game (well, not smell for one... unless someone farted while walking in some in-game sewers) and the more they are fluid and connected into one whole, better whole game feels. but, sure as hell game doesn't feel better if it run 300fps

what also might happen is NVidia/Ati stepping up and making better drivers. as far as developers taking linux seriously, look at steam greenlit number of games coming each period. number more than doubles. not to mention just looking at http://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php, looking at this i kinda can't help my self but to think goal is being achieved too fast as games might simply overcrowd in this market and market would be deemed unprofitable. right now lots of linux users simply wait for steam/os to be finished. don't know, but linux users are usually way more conditioned to "stable" status than windows users who feel the need to put every alpha/beta they see Download option for.

Comment

forgot about it

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
          Yes, there is—Unigine Oil Rush.
          I own it myself since moment of it's release.

Comment

Expected results. Nice to see SteamOS being like any other distro when it comes about performance. But all you must remember, it'll be a distro for masses, everything working out of the box, no need for install things or custom by hand. Big majority of people who buys console wants this, easy of use, out of the box experience. When I was kid I bought a ps2, if it was needed to use commands to install things or manual system tuning I would bought a xbox.

Comment

nope, there is one

Originally posted by felipe View Post
              There are no AAA games yet. Apart from the valve games... and some indie games... I hope GTA5, Batlefield 4, Elder Scroll 6, PES 2014, etc.
              There is one.
              Metro Last Light.

Comment

Working...
              X