Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS vs. Ubuntu 13.10 - Intel HD Graphics Performance

Phoronix: SteamOS vs. Ubuntu 13.10 - Intel HD Graphics Performance

When Valve announced the public release of the beta for SteamOS 1.0 "Alchemist" on Friday they listed NVIDIA graphics as a hardware requirement, but I showed that AMD Radeon graphics with Catalyst would work and it's possible to get Intel graphics working (or the open-source graphics drivers in general) through a minor change to the Linux-based SteamOS kernel parameters. After that I ran some benchmarks and here are a few performance results comparing SteamOS 1.0 Beta to Ubuntu 13.10 with Intel HD Graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just another distro

The community expects that Steam OS makes Miracles, but he's just another distro.

Comment

Michael is quick...

But not too precise IMHO.

Does it strike me and me only the fact that tests are not relevant to what OS was designed for?
      I mean it was designed for 3d games, so 3d tests are relevant. But is there one game based on Unigine engine yet?

I don't know, could it be case that actual Valve games would be more relevant with SteamOS in same configuration?

Sorry if I run ahead and it's something Michael is going to do anyway.

Comment

Michael has posted a thousand times why there aren't more Steam/Valve game benchmarks................

And there IS at least one game based on Unigine on steam...

Comment

Well I think this comparison kinda misses the point at this stage of development of SteamOS: Intel driver is disabled by default, and for a reason.
          Much more meaningful would be a comparison on Nvidia hardware, since it's the only one Valve supports for now.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            Well I think this comparison kinda misses the point at this stage of development of SteamOS: Intel driver is disabled by default, and for a reason.
            Much more meaningful would be a comparison on Nvidia hardware, since it's the only one Valve supports for now.
            As said in the article, more NVIDIA tests are on the way... It was easy to run some more Intel tests when having a lower-end system not busy.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I at least found this article interesting....

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                But is there one game based on Unigine engine yet?
                Yes, there is?Unigine Oil Rush.
                Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

So, it has the same gaming performance than any distro, it's kind of disappointing (specially after valve says it was better for games). Afterall it's just a beta, the final version will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                    So, it has the same gaming performance than any distro, it's kind of disappointing (specially after valve says it was better for games). Afterall it's just a beta, the final version will be better.
                    But the result don't show what the minimum performance, only the average. After all SteamOS kernel has lot of real time parameter tweak.

Comment

Working...
                    X