X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting talk by Ryan Gordon "icculus"

From a UCLUG meeting:

(starts from 35 min into the ogg)

icculus talks about the creation of icculus.org, the history of porting games, multiplayer gaming/dedicated servers, SDL/OpenAL, Linux video drivers, Intellectual property, linux uptake, game programming/tools/engines and wine/cedega.

If anyone is wondering about Carmack's SQRT mentioned in the talk is, see http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/8/
    Last edited by hmmm; 17 April 2008, 02:01 AM.

I'm still listening to it but its a good one for sure. He did make some small mentions of UT3 in this, but nothing new, as in, it might eventually come. But listening to Ryan Gordon talk about stuff like this is pretty fun to listen to. Hes not boring to listen to. He is very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
      I'm still listening to it but its a good one for sure. He did make some small mentions of UT3 in this, but nothing new, as in, it might eventually come. But listening to Ryan Gordon talk about stuff like this is pretty fun to listen to. Hes not boring to listen to. He is very smart.
      Yes, he is. BTW, making small mentions of it would imply possibly that it will eventually show up- most people would avoid discussing anything that'd gotten deep-sixed...

Comment

I was rather surprised that no one asked him about ut3 in the question time at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
          I was rather surprised that no one asked him about ut3 in the question time at the end.
          Not prudent. All it'd been was an uncomfortable situation for all involved. He would have already told us something if he was at liberty to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Not prudent. All it'd been was an uncomfortable situation for all involved. He would have already told us something if he was at liberty to do so.
            Or he's just hoping people will tire and forget....

Comment

Brilliant talk, I've been listening to it all week on the way to and from work (my drive isn't that long). I wish there was always something that interesting to listen to...

Comment

Downloading as I write these lines, will certainly be listening to this very soon, in fact I'll sync it to my iriver Clix and be able to listen to this while at work tomorrow

Comment

I have to say that this talk of his is amazing. What I liked the most was the part about history of Linux games and SDL, I still think more game developers should use it and contribute to it. Amazing indeed. And with the love of GSoC, the advances for SDL 2.0 are shaping up very nicely (I'm eager to see force-feedback in the API, the Linux kernel already supports it, and when SDL does, it opens a lot of possibilities).

Comment

Working...
                  X