8.4 - Modelines and EDID/DDC stil broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.4 - Modelines and EDID/DDC stil broken

Any else still having issues with getting the proper resolution on version 8.4? No matter what I try, my modelines are ignored and EDID/DDC information is either missing (defaults to 1024x768 max instead of giving me 1680x1050) or wrong (in one case it gave me 1440x900 max).

The only version I've used in several years that properly handled modlines is 8.2, but I would like to be able to upgrade for the other bugfixes.

If anyone from ATI/AMD is reading this - please fix this critical bug that's been hanging around for years!

Originally posted by dack View Post
    Any else still having issues with getting the proper resolution on version 8.4? No matter what I try, my modelines are ignored and EDID/DDC information is either missing (defaults to 1024x768 max instead of giving me 1680x1050) or wrong (in one case it gave me 1440x900 max).

The only version I've used in several years that properly handled modlines is 8.2, but I would like to be able to upgrade for the other bugfixes.

If anyone from ATI/AMD is reading this - please fix this critical bug that's been hanging around for years!
    I guess my setup is very different to yours so this post isn't going to help much :-)

For me using a CRT connected with DSUB and working EDID a test modeline that I made worked OK with 8.3.

Heres the xorg.conf bit - of course I could check that the modeline I made with gtf was in range with
    Code:
    $ grep Range /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (II) fglrx(0): Ranges: V min: 50  V max: 160 Hz, H min: 30  H max: 96 kHz, PixClock max 200 MHz

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
            Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
            Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
            Option      "DPMS" "true"
            UseModes        "HD1920"
    EndSection

Section "Modes"
            Identifier "HD1920"
            # 1920x1440 @ 50.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 74.10 kHz; pclk: 192.07 MHz
            Modeline "1920x1440_50.00"  192.07  1920 2048 2256 2592  1440 1441 1444 1482  -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
            Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
            Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
            DefaultDepth     24
            SubSection "Display"
                    Viewport   0 0
                    Depth     24
                    Modes   "1920x1440_50.00"
    #               Modes    "1280x1024"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    It was just a test - totally useless in practice as my CRT can't physically display 1920 (dot pitch vs size) and 50 Hz is unusable - but it did work apart from that.

I don't have any panel/lcd/dvi h/w to test anything else and maybe cvt would be better than gtf for genetating modes for those.

Comment

Working...
    X