Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

Default The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

Phoronix: The First NVIDIA GeForce Benchmarks On The SteamOS Beta

A comprehensive performance comparison is underway at Phoronix that pits SteamOS against other desktop Linux distributions, but for those anxious to see some performance numbers, here are benchmarks done so far this weekend from seven NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on the public SteamOS 1.0 Beta operating system. In this article are early benchmarks from seven NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards running Valve's Debian Linux based SteamOS on an Intel Haswell system.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19621

Great Benchmarks as always, Michael.

Looking forward to see the Ubuntu results. One thing I would love to see in the future is how Seam OS and Ubuntu compares against Windows 8.

Thanks for the benchmarks. A comparison SteamOS vs other distros could be interesting although I actually don't expect much difference, I just checked the benchmark numbers for Unigine Engine on a GTX680 from the Ubuntu vs Win8 article (July) and they are basically the same.
    I actually curious about comparison SteamOS vs Windows from other editorials (I just read that Ars is preparing one), not really to see the actual difference in performance but to see which games they are going to use as benchmarks. While they are probably not limited by an automated procedure the number of games with benchmarking functionality is quite limited compared to windows, actually the majority of games I see in windows reviews are not on Linux at all, including synthetics benchmarks. Having 3DMark in Linux would definitely be useful!

As shown by other recent Phoronix tests (and more tests coming this month), Intel Haswell graphics with Mesa 10.0+ should be in fairly good shape for handling most Source Engine games.
    Sure, but I thought that SteamOS only ships with mesa 9.2.2, with some valve custom changes :

Package: libglapi-mesa
    Source: mesa
    Version: 9.2.2-1+steamos1+bsos1
    Architecture: i386
    Maintainer: Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>
    Installed-Size: 170
    Pre-Depends: multiarch-support
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~)
    Multi-Arch: same
    Homepage: http://mesa3d.sourceforge.net/
    Priority: optional
    Section: libs
    Filename: pool/main/m/mesa/libglapi-mesa_9.2.2-1+steamos1+bsos1_i386.deb
    Anyway, I am looking forward to see your next benchmarks. Keep on, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by fedesog View Post
    Having 3DMark in Linux would definitely be useful!
    And impossible, unless you somehow control Microsoft, has 3DMark is based on DirectX.

Unhappy Disappointed

Comparing with previous benchmarks, the Steam was not higher.

Default 3dmark existes for android

Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    And impossible, unless you somehow control Microsoft, has 3DMark is based on DirectX.

3dmark existes for android

Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    Futuremark itself said, in their forum, they were keeping an eye on Valve back in February when Steam for Linux was released and I remember they actually pointed out that they follow directions of hardware companies more than software companies. Steam Boxes will be produced by hardware companies that will need something to prove that their version of Steam Box is faster than the one from the competition so as 3DMark exists on Android/iOS it will probably end up on Linux as well, maybe not soon but definitely not never.

Quote Originally Posted by winnitro View Post
    Comparing with previous benchmarks, the Steam was not higher.
    This is quite understandable because Valve has modified Linux kernel with real time patches. Generally realtime kernel have lower latency but also lower peak performance.

Hopefully Michael will test SteamOS with unmodified 3.10 kernel. This should reveal what is the effect of the modifications.

great benchmark. just one suggestion for "compare your own" part of article.

benchmarks would be much more informative if they were produced for valve proposed specs instead of bunch of graphics cards. that way anyone could see how his machine stacks against valves vision of "steambox". you could stick titan in pc with different bottleneck and still suffer terrible result. benchmark for complete spec on the other hand gives much clearer result