Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Steam Controller Works "Out Of The Box" On Linux

Phoronix: The Steam Controller Works "Out Of The Box" On Linux

Valve's initial Steam Controller prototype for use with the Steam Machines Linux-based game console will also work "out of the box" on other Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's an interesting design, if it's not expensive I'll probably grab one. Have they said anything about a price yet?

Comment

I wonder when it is going to be avaiable in amazon?

Comment

Will buy one when they go on sale. Really great that developing on Linux with a Steam Controller is pretty much the same environment you'll get on the Steam Machines themselves. The fact that Steam Machines turn into a little computer is excellent too. It makes giving it as a gift to a young adult that much more valuable. Pre-install some development & art tools and your giving them learning resources along with their video-games. Really wounder how well something like Blender would actually work using just a Steam Controller... Good job, Valve.

Comment

I hope the controller has a female usb port so that you can plug in an extension cable to your computer if you want wired or offer different configurations of options in cabling and addins.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
            I hope the controller has a female usb port so that you can plug in an extension cable to your computer if you want wired or offer different configurations of options in cabling and addins.
            Prototype is wired only, but the real one is gonna be wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
              Will buy one when they go on sale. Really great that developing on Linux with a Steam Controller is pretty much the same environment you'll get on the Steam Machines themselves. The fact that Steam Machines turn into a little computer is excellent too. It makes giving it as a gift to a young adult that much more valuable. Pre-install some development & art tools and your giving them learning resources along with their video-games. Really wounder how well something like Blender would actually work using just a Steam Controller... Good job, Valve.
              I'm absolutely positive you'll be able to use a keyboard and mouse too. I don't have evidence to prove that, but really....

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Prototype is wired only, but the real one is gonna be wireless.
                Do you think they will be smart enough to design it for docking in a power up station, or for the option to add a usb cable to play wired.

Comment

SteamOS FULLY supports mouse + keyboard.

SteamOS also supports (the horrible(i'm left handed)) Xbox360 controller.

SteamOS changes interface smoothly from mouse+keyboard to controller(s) and vice-verse according to witch you use at moment.

I'm interested in SteamOS controller but better they also sell a wired version or the wireless have a hell of battery life span *and* battery be easy to replace with a spare one.

Comment

I expected this actually. Although, we WILL be seeing a steam controller driver eventually showing up to support the touch screen going in the production models. Its actually a shame the beta versions didn't include that, but I suppose it wasn't ready yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X